Some insight into the history of Bernard Sealey & family

The Precision Rods forum.
Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Some insight into the history of Bernard Sealey & family

Post by Bumble »

I feel very honored to be mentioned in this thread the Princess did arrive unannounced and was the start of a friendship which is very special to me.
Personally I love the intrigue of unnamed rods and this should never undermine the quality of the cane. Like Mal I am a massive fan of this company and the quality of their cane is beyond belief
Bumble

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

PennineLad's description of Dave and Al's career made me remember a duo called Cosmotheka, whom I saw a couple of times at agency (Bob Davenport?)gigs way back, so I had a quick Google and discovered Cosmotheka were indeed the Sealeys. They were great fun back then, and Dave and son Dan are now indeed back as Cosmotheca, with a website and YouTube channel.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

Is there any information on the manufacturing dates of the diamond super deluxe 777 reel as I've just picked one up in very good condition.
I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Trainset wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:49 pm Is there any information on the manufacturing dates of the diamond super deluxe 777 reel as I've just picked one up in very good condition.
I'm afraid you have the wrong "Sealey," Sir.

You reel was imported by Edgar Sealey ... not Bernard (his cousin and a completely separate company).

The "Diamond Super Deluxe" range is listed in the catalogues I have for Edgar Sealey for 1967, 1968, and 1969. They were NOT listed in the 1964 price list.

They were, I believe, manufactured in Japan ... and later in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia.

In the 1967 cataloge, Sealey says this ...

"The Diamond range of fixed spool reels. Specially imported by Bernard Sealey. This comprehensive range of exceptionally well made reels covers all types of fishing and is backed by a 24 hour service for spares and replacements.Al;l Models are available in left and right hand wind.

The Super de Luxe Series. A new and outstanding series with ball bearing mounted main shaft, improved pick-up mechanism, lightweight folding handle, disc drag and precision-cut all-metal spiral gears. Corrosion proofed throughout. Gold metallic finish.Supplied with spare spool. In satin draw-string bag. Full line capacities.

Models available.
777DX Float and spinning. £3.14s. 3d.
800DX Float and spinning. £4. 3s. 6d.
888DX Salmon, Pike spinning reel. £4. 12s. 9d.
1000DX Salmon and light sea reel. £ 5. 3s. 9d.
1200DX Surf casting reel. £6. 2s. 3d."

I'd suggest your reel dates from circa 1966 onwards ... as Sealey could lest it as a 'new range' in 1967.

I hope that helps. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”