Bernard Venables' Floats

This forum belongs to Bernard Venables MBE.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Bernard Venables' Floats

Post by Nobby »

Tengisgol, do you think the BV roach float was designed with tipping over to a bite, up in the water fishing or perhaps lift bites in mind? It looks as though it would be very slow to cock but must be very sensitive.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Tengisgol wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:13 pm Here is one of Bernard's floats (on the left) plus a replica that Andy Field made for me to fish with. Whilst I don't have the providence to prove this next bit, I think the original may have been made by Richard Walker as the finish, colour and whippings are very similar/same as floats he was known to have made.

The design was specifically made for the roach of 'the Lily Pad Hole' on the River Beane; see Fred J Taylor's book 'Favourite Swims' for a narrative on the method and thinking behind it. Hope that is of interest! I have lots of Bernard's bits and bobs here which I treasure a great deal. I'll look for some more photos!

(please note, tench fleetingly placed on damp moss!)

And a pike float that belonged to Bernard as well, again with an Andy Field replica (please note pike fleetingly placed on damp soft grass!).

I was very lucky to pick up a box of Bernard's tackle at the end of an auction for very little. It was an absolute treasure trove. I sold quite a few bits on eBay and donated the proceeds to the ACA as it was then. As well as the floats I have other items such as his fishermans knife, mackerel flies, line winders, bubble floats, sea trout flies (now in a frame in my study) and even his midge net!

Here's a few bits in a display cabinet.

I adore his books and painting. Not sure we will ever see his type again.
What interesting floats Tengisgol, I would like to make one of those roach floats to use with my Chapman Beane provided you're happy for me to make a copy? The float body looks like balsa or pith? I can't quite make out what the stem material is though......
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

OllyKite
Stickleback

Post by OllyKite »

Major Albert Smalley made a set of fluted floats for Bernard. I have them framed. I have another frame of Bernards floats and whilst there is an absence of documentary proof that Major Smalley made these, they look like they are by the same hand .
'look, Dad, its lying flat'!...'Yes,Peter,wait'....presently it moves across the water and slides under...'Now,Peter. STRIKE!'

Visit www.qualityvintagetackle.co.uk

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Bob Brookes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:24 am During my 20 question interview I mentioned that I had a couple of floats that had once been owned and used by BV himself. Others said that they too had some of his floats so I suggested that we should post pictures of them on a separate thread.

Mine were gifted to a pal of mine who, knowing my interest in old floats, kindly gave them to me together with a letter of provenance from Jon Berry. As floats they are not at all special, except for the link to the great man himself. One day they will be passed on to another angler who has a particular affinity with the original owner.

IMG_0020 2.jpg

Come on chaps, I've shown you mine now show me yours. :eyebrow
Wow, hadn't spotted those in your cabinet....I shall look closer next time :holmes: Let's use them next time we go fishing :whistle:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:24 pm
Bob Brookes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:24 am During my 20 question interview I mentioned that I had a couple of floats that had once been owned and used by BV himself. Others said that they too had some of his floats so I suggested that we should post pictures of them on a separate thread.

Mine were gifted to a pal of mine who, knowing my interest in old floats, kindly gave them to me together with a letter of provenance from Jon Berry. As floats they are not at all special, except for the link to the great man himself. One day they will be passed on to another angler who has a particular affinity with the original owner.

IMG_0020 2.jpg

Come on chaps, I've shown you mine now show me yours. :eyebrow
Wow, hadn't spotted those in your cabinet....I shall look closer next time :holmes: Let's use them next time we go fishing :whistle:
And neither will you see them in there Jeremy. I have given them to Hermit (John Haynes), who is a great friend of mine and keen on Bernard Venables, his works and life. He was a more worthy custodian in my view. :cheers:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Nobby wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:02 am Tengisgol, do you think the BV roach float was designed with tipping over to a bite, up in the water fishing or perhaps lift bites in mind? It looks as though it would be very slow to cock but must be very sensitive.
With a huge apology, I missed this the first time Nobby! Fortunately the post has re-emerged.

We are very lucky in that no less than Fred J Taylor is available to answer your question, because he covers the float in his chapter on The Lily Pad Hole, ‘Favourite Swims’. I have copied below. All the best!

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Such a wealth of information and knowledge is to be found on this forum - all very interesting indeed.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Tengisgol wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:13 pm Here is one of Bernard's floats (on the left) plus a replica that Andy Field made for me to fish with. Whilst I don't have the providence to prove this next bit, I think the original may have been made by Richard Walker as the finish, colour and whippings are very similar/same as floats he was known to have made.

The design was specifically made for the roach of 'the Lily Pad Hole' on the River Beane; see Fred J Taylor's book 'Favourite Swims' for a narrative on the method and thinking behind it. Hope that is of interest! I have lots of Bernard's bits and bobs here which I treasure a great deal. I'll look for some more photos!

And a pike float that belonged to Bernard as well, again with an Andy Field replica (please note pike fleetingly placed on damp soft grass!).

I was very lucky to pick up a box of Bernard's tackle at the end of an auction for very little. It was an absolute treasure trove. I sold quite a few bits on eBay and donated the proceeds to the ACA as it was then. As well as the floats I have other items such as his fishermans knife, mackerel flies, line winders, bubble floats, sea trout flies (now in a frame in my study) and even his midge net!

I adore his books and painting. Not sure we will ever see his type again.

What interesting floats Tengisgol, I would like to make one of those roach floats to use with my Chapman Beane provided you're happy for me to make a copy? The float body looks like balsa or pith? I can't quite make out what the stem material is though......
Hi Jeremy, sorry I didn't pick this up first time either. The stem is probably some kind of cane. If I were making a copy I would probably start with a wooden skewer and whittle that down in an electric drill. The body is almost certainly elder pith.

Good luck and I hope you pick this up.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Pallenpool wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:24 am Such a wealth of information and knowledge is to be found on this forum - all very interesting indeed.
Well said :Hat: TFF is an absolute mine of interesting info

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Marvellous! Thank-you.

Return to “Bernard Venables MBE”