Marco Medway re-furbishment

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Marco Medway re-furbishment

Post by Wallys-Cast »

TheDodger wrote:Just a small query on the rings - but first congrats on turning an ugly duckling into a thing of beauty - WHAT a difference: well done! I have a rod that is similar to (but not as bad as) your rod in its original state - but it has exactly the same original lined rings. Oh, perhaps I should add that my rod is an elasticane Medway De Luxe (or so it says on the transfer). I think someone else mentions having a Medway also with similar rings. There is therefore some circumstantial evidence that the rings are in fact the original trim perhaps? What does the Board think?
You could be right Dodger, there does seem to be a few Medway Deluxe rods with lined rings throughout. I have recently bought a F T Williams "The Dorset Deluxe", a very similar type of rod and it too has all lined rings so maybe it was one of the expected refinements on the Deluxe versions of various makers rods at the time, a bit like the Chapmans 500 and 550 Deluxe versions having their lined butt and tip rings.

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Firstly, the Medway de-Luxe.....I have a strong idea that rod is hollow-built..it might be interesting to compare the sections, weight-wise, with something similar. I seem to recall some pretty gaudy whipping too...red and green?

Lovely job on the Medway, Nailbourne..that's another one saved for posterity, .... and you will get a huge kick out of it when you land your first fish.

I like those 'wires-only' tip rings as they weigh so little, but they do indeed need two flats shaving to get the angle right...I'm afraid I cheat shamelessly and add a dab of superglue .... it wicks along the wires, sets very quickly consequently and lets me get on with the job.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

A job very well done Nailbourne Sir. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

TheDodger
Minnow

Post by TheDodger »

"Firstly, the Medway de-Luxe.....I have a strong idea that rod is hollow-built.."

Nobby, oddly enough my Medway De-Luxe actually has a transfer on it saying it is "hollow built" which probably resolves that one without me being an expert!

(NB there is another transfer underneath which carries the number "4553"(I think) if that means anything to you?

And funnily enough Wallys, I too have an FT Williams "The Dorset" but the rings are not lined throughout - only the tip one which is blue and of incredibly small diameter by the way. On balance I find the FT Williams the better-balanced rod, but I wish the handle was longer...!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ahh. The impression I had gained was that the Medway was normally built cane, but it was the Medway de-Luxe that was hollow-built. I think they are handwritten actually and the number is probably a serial number. The Test rods certainly were and a fair bit of confusion it's caused over the years as the writer used a capital 'T' that looked more like a 'J'.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

That is a huge improvement on what you started with. Well done. Enjoy bending it
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Hi,excellant job,i am currently restoring a marco medway,would it be possible for the spacings for the guides please,mine had 5 intermediates on when purchased but i would like to add 7 intermediates
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Splendid work, another good old rod brought back to life.

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”