Help with a 12' Marco Elasticane Test please!

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Aitch
Pike

Re: Help with a 12' Marco Elasticane Test please!

Post by Aitch »

Phil... if you want I can pop my Test down to you for closer perusal if it's any help.... it's a Steve Boncey rebuild in black and silver twist...
Any idea why they were dressed with low bells instead of high bells or weren't they supposed to be float fished with?
they are a beast of a rod KF, I'd not want to float fish with one, although it's possible, you'd need the use of your arm afterwards :Hat: :Cool: :Hahaha:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Kingfisher wrote:Any idea why they were dressed with low bells instead of high bells or weren't they supposed to be float fished with?
I think that at the time the Bells Life rings were considered adequate for float fishing. The rods would have been regarded as general bottom rods and would have been used for both float and ledger fishing. I'm not sure when the high bells rings such as we use today when we refurbish came into general use, but I would guess it was in the mid-1960s.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I have an idea that all later rods from Marco were whipped in plain black, but certainly earlier Tests were whipped in what I've always taken to be yellow and black 'twist' often called jasper, a southern nick-name for a wasp,.... but the term seems to be applied to all twists these days.

Yes, that is an original butt ring...bit small, aren't they?

As to the rings; Marco were one of the few makers to use a 'slightly' high stand-off ring ( along with Hardy and Eggingtons ) that had straight supports at about 45 degrees from the feet. It's impossible to source these now, though I did hear rumours of a hoard in South wales, which made me wonder if Anglers Supplies in Cardiff might be able to help as the current owners father bought a HUGE loads of unwanted spares from Marco apparently.

The rings in question are low enough that in the smaller sizes the ring actually touches the cane making varnishing a real pain.....

I must say those don't actually look like the rings in question so they might be replacements or maybe Marco stopped using them on the later rods, though I do have a black-whipped Test at ten foot six that still has the 45 degree ones.

Unless it's the same rod doing the rounds...don't laugh it happen more than you might think...I have seen a 12 foot Test with a shorter extra tip twice now on eBay.......

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

My test has the same rings as in the pictures at the top of the thread.... it's also whipped in Jasper/twist.... it was supposed to be black and silver but it looks a yellowish colour, whether that's a result of the varnish colouring the wraps, or the sealer not working correctly I don't know... what I will say is it's a damn fine rod if a tad heavy

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Nobby wrote:I have an idea that all later rods from Marco were whipped in plain black, but certainly earlier Tests were whipped in what I've always taken to be yellow and black 'twist' often called jasper, a southern nick-name for a wasp,.... but the term seems to be applied to all twists these days.

Yes, that is an original butt ring...bit small, aren't they?

As to the rings; Marco were one of the few makers to use a 'slightly' high stand-off ring ( along with Hardy and Eggingtons ) that had straight supports at about 45 degrees from the feet. It's impossible to source these now, though I did hear rumours of a hoard in South wales, which made me wonder if Anglers Supplies in Cardiff might be able to help as the current owners father bought a HUGE loads of unwanted spares from Marco apparently.

The rings in question are low enough that in the smaller sizes the ring actually touches the cane making varnishing a real pain.....

I must say those don't actually look like the rings in question so they might be replacements or maybe Marco stopped using them on the later rods, though I do have a black-whipped Test at ten foot six that still has the 45 degree ones.

Unless it's the same rod doing the rounds...don't laugh it happen more than you might think...I have seen a 12 foot Test with a shorter extra tip twice now on eBay.......

Interesting comments, thanks Nobby. The rod belongs to a friend and I will probably re-whip in a black and white twist (I have a few reels of original stuff) but subject to what the owner thinks. I got a great finish with my Aspindale.

Yes, that butt ring is a bit ridiculous but it's in great condition (once cleaned up) so that will go back on. The photos are a bit misleading and the rings are the 45 degree Bells life ones. Funny enough, I had a big bag of them and have just re whipped a Black Seal using them. I have a couple left and have had a generous offer following my original post so should be able to replicate to original. I quite like them actually for a light leger rod.

One of these days I am going to go down to South Wales and ask if I can spend an hour rooting around all that old stock!

Finally, this could well be the same rod that you saw on ebay as I think it was a bargain purchase because it was collect only, but I could be wrong on that one! Thanks for all your help again Nobby and best wishes.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Bluelabel wrote:My test has the same rings as in the pictures at the top of the thread.... it's also whipped in Jasper/twist.... it was supposed to be black and silver but it looks a yellowish colour, whether that's a result of the varnish colouring the wraps, or the sealer not working correctly I don't know... what I will say is it's a damn fine rod if a tad heavy
I had an Aspindale that looked yellow and black until I took the whipping off and looked on the underside and saw it was in fact white. I suspect it is a combination of age and varnish. Thanks for your offer to view your one Aitch, I might take you up on that.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I've had three Tests in various conditions and the two that had never been restored both came with two tips each; one normal length and one shorter! Whether or not Tests were originally sold like this I have no idea! Funny though how so many of them have two tips still!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Tengisgol wrote:
Bluelabel wrote:My test has the same rings as in the pictures at the top of the thread.... it's also whipped in Jasper/twist.... it was supposed to be black and silver but it looks a yellowish colour, whether that's a result of the varnish colouring the wraps, or the sealer not working correctly I don't know... what I will say is it's a damn fine rod if a tad heavy
I had an Aspindale that looked yellow and black until I took the whipping off and looked on the underside and saw it was in fact white. I suspect it is a combination of age and varnish. Thanks for your offer to view your one Aitch, I might take you up on that.
No worries... just give me a shout and I'll pop it down to you...!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

For such a large concern ....and long-lived too ( they were going until 1979! ).... it's amazing that the market isn't littered with Marco catalogues. I've seen just one on eBay and that went for big money, or so I felt at the time.....I wish I'd have girded my loins and wallet and bid high for it now :rant:

Same as Aspindale....where are the catalogues???

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Whilst on hols in Norfolk I visited Stalham, looking in a charity shop window my eye was drawn to two rods in bags, one was a glass fly rod but to my pleasant surprise the other contained a 'Marko 12' Test, nothing lost on the tip and very straight with new agate butt and tip rings fitted, but the other rings corroded, the cork is in perfect condition with a patina of dirty hands ! it looks to me like the previous owner got tired with the re-furb. Apart from that its got all the transfers and has gold/black jasper whippings. In black ink between the trademark and the alloy bit are tiny letters which are hard to read but look like
0/8/7 or 1. It also has the wooden stoppers and a black rubber button. I intend to re-furb over the winter. When I get a chance I will put pics on. I gave it a quick outing this morning but blanked ! it does not feel as heavy as I thought it would be and cast well with the Speedia/6lb line and a 3bb float.
Tight lines
Dave

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”