Help with a 12' Marco Elasticane Test please!

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Help with a 12' Marco Elasticane Test please!

Post by Tengisgol »

I am having a look at a twelve footer and am hoping you can help. It is black whipped which in some places could be original and others maybe not so. The thread doesn't look brilliant although some later varnishing may have created that effect.

Question One - is it likely that black thread was original? (I read in an earlier thread that may have been the case)

Question Two - what other colours may have been used if we decide to change? (Jaspers?)

Question Three - is this likely to be the original butt ring?

Question Four - are these what were known as 'Bells Life' rings and again would they be original? (Does anyone have any spare if I need them?)

Question Five - Finally, this one has an extra short tip to turn it into a big fish rod, has anyone seen that before?

Any other thoughts welcome!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Help with a 12' Marco Elasticane Test please!

Post by OldTackle »

To me it looks like one of these darkened silk whipping due to the missing of sealer before varnishing.

Nobby might know more about that.

Christopher
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Black was a standard colour for the whipping. Mine was originally black. I know AC whipped his in black and silver jasper. It should have a high bell/stand off butt ring, so that looks like a replacement

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4363
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I don't know if black thread was used, but my Test was whipped in white/black jasper. I used black/gold when I restored it.

That looks like an original butt ring. It's certainly right for the period.

Those are indeed Bells Life rings and they are almost certainly original. If you intend to use the rod mainly for float fishing then I wouldn't recommend using them as you'll be fed up with the line sticking to the rod in the rain. The rings on my Test were in decent condition, but I replaced them with high Bells Life rings. I used the Bells Life on an FT Williams The Dorset as I'll mainly use it for barbel fishing.

I'm not aware of Tests coming with a ledger tip, but it's quite likely that someone would have used a broken tip to make one, especially on a 12 footer.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Hi Tengisgol

This is my 12ft Test, and as you can see the butt ring looks the same. I bought it in what appeared to be original condition and apart from putting an extra coat of varnish on some of the whippings I haven't needed to do anything to it. I would describe the jasper thread as golden-olive/black, it certainly isn't white/black thread that has been discoloured by ageing varnish, as in a few places the varnish had flaked off the threads (hence the need to re-varnish them). It is fitted with Bells Life rings like yours.

'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Wagtail wrote:Hi Tengisgol

This is my 12ft Test, and as you can see the butt ring looks the same. I bought it in what appeared to be original condition and apart from putting an extra coat of varnish on some of the whippings I haven't needed to do anything to it. I would describe the jasper thread as golden-olive/black, it certainly isn't white/black thread that has been discoloured by ageing varnish, as in a few places the varnish had flaked off the threads (hence the need to re-varnish them). It is fitted with Bells Life rings like yours.
That's really helpful, thanks Wagtail
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The 10ft. 6in. "Test" I rebuilt two years ago came to me with what looked like black and gold twist thread which, when I cut the guides off, proved to be black and white on the reverse side ... which like some Precision Rods appeared black and gold because of the discolouration of the varnish.

That's why I re-whipped it in black and white ... or as near to it as I could get (using PROWRAP Tiger Thread from Hopkins and Holloway ... http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/produc ... tegory/236) :-

Mine also came to me with full open bridge guides which I replicated using Hopkin and Holloway 616-HC Full open bridge sourced from Chapman's of Ware.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

James
Rudd

Post by James »

I think you will find the colour has faded and if you were to take some thread of a guide you will see blue underneath. I have a 12ft Elasticane rod ,it was one of my first cane rods. I used mine for all my fishing from Grayling to River carp a really good rod . Oh yes the guides are low or medium bells life and are not made any more.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

AshbyCut wrote:The 10ft. 6in. "Test" I rebuilt two years ago came to me with what looked like black and gold twist thread which, when I cut the guides off, proved to be black and white on the reverse side ... which like some Precision Rods appeared black and gold because of the discolouration of the varnish.
AC, after I bought my Test I remembered you posting a picture of the thread that appeared coloured on the outside but was white on the inside. I rather expected to find that my rod was the same, but was able to loosen enough of one whipping to confirm that the thread was indeed golden olive rather than white. Confusing all of this, isn't it?!
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Any idea why they were dressed with low bells instead of high bells or weren't they supposed to be float fished with?

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”