Marco elasticane 'Test'

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
MGs
Pike

Re: Marco elasticane 'Test'

Post by MGs »

I have a 12' one which was black whipped. The whipping on the 11' certainly looks original. The underside of the whipping from the butt eye taken off in one piece, is a dark coffee brown. The inters are a couple of shades lighter (milky coffee). I think I will go with chestnut
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I just showed the old whipping to my wife. Without prompting, she went for chestnut from the colour chart, decision made

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Work is almost complete. This has been tricky. My dad wanted it left in the condition he passed it over, with the exceptions of the work required. If it were mine, I would have stripped it. There are, judging from the bits I have done, about 8 layers of varnish on the rod, some of which is crazing.
I have added a thin layer of cork to the end of the handle (to prevent the reel bands rattling down to the rubber button).
I have whipped on agate butt and tip eyes. Re-glued both female ferrules. Not the best pictures of the whipping, it looks better in the flesh
Image Image
The main problem was the tip joint. This not only had at least 3 sets in it, it had a 1.5 inch split (not delamination). I have re-glued it and whipped over it, up to and including the nearest eye (about 2.5 inches in total).
You can clearly see here the difference that years of varnish make to the whipping, The whipping on this eye is the same clolour :shocked:

Removing the sets was interesting. Taking note of one of J.T's comments about heat guns, this is what I used. Clamping the male brass in my workmate and gently moving the heat gun over each bend in turn, whilst applying gentle pressure. Nervous or what.
The result doesn't look too bad. Hopefully, it will stay relatively straight.

Excuse the thumb. I wish I had taken a before picture. It was like a wonky crescent.

Final touch, I have turned him a couple of ferrule stoppers

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Good work, Sir. You dad will be delighted, I'm sure.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Excellent and nerve jangling work Sir, well done!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”