Marco - Arun Pictures included.

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Marco - Arun Pictures included.

Post by Nobby »

You don't see many Aruns, but if they did them in all three usual sizes I wonder how they differ, if at all, from the more commonly found Test rods?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Here are a few pictures of the rod as I found it yesterday. When I get time I shall reglue the ferrules and rewhip the whole rod.There is a slight set in the tip section so I shall probably just turn cane over and whip rings on opposite side. I notice the whippings on this rod are the same as the others on this thread. Reedling. :Hat:

Leojosie

Post by Leojosie »

Thank you for the photo's. very impressed with the photography. The badge on yours is mint. Half the man is missing on mine. The colour of the whippings are red & black ? maybe very dark green. I like the input on this site and how people are keen to help. I will try and give as much input as I can over the coming months still the new boy on the block so I have to learn how to get round the site. Thanks & kind regards LEOJOSIE

FloatingCrust

Post by FloatingCrust »

I've examples of both 10.5 &12 ft Arun models.
Should anyone wish to compare rods side by side.
In the hand the shorter rod gives the impression of being more powerful, a little faster in action.
The longer rod bends with much more of a through action than the shorter rod.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Nobby wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:38 am You don't see many Aruns, but if they did them in all three usual sizes I wonder how they differ, if at all, from the more commonly found Test rods?
Been interesting looking through this old post.
I now have three, well sort of three Aruns.
I have a lovely fully refurbished one by Tangisgol 12 foot Arun that is my go to rod.
But... I also have my old dads butt section of his old Arun that I have been trying to get back in action for a good few years now...(10 1/2 ft) but now I have a middle and tip section that I have pinched from an old J Peek and sons rod that has the same ferrule sizes snd the cane looks a good match tapper wise too.
My last Arun hat two tips... one original but it has been shortened, the other slightly longer but again the same ferrule size but not red and black wiping so I suspect that section was from a different rod.
All three butt sections have a different size ferrels and are not interchangeable but are all Aruns..,
Some have longer handles (12 footers) while others are shorter
My old dads rod had. Stiff action, short handle and was 10 1/2 ft.
I think that when they made the rods they named them after they were made and didn't necessarily follow a pattern!
I would love to meet someone who worked at at the Marco
Works..
( I know the brother of a rod builder at Dawsons of Bromley who I will be meeting shortly... he might be able to shed some light on it)

Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”