Test

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Martin

Test

Post by Martin »

Does anyone know when the test first came into production? I won a 10'6 from eBay last week everything looks original it has bells life rings fitted but is finished in red/white jasper but reading through the threads of current owners it seems that there finished with plain black silks.

Speaking to SeanM over the phone he suggested its likely to be an early model, needs Work now as I broke it within 5 minutes :Brickwall:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Test

Post by Santiago »

I broke mine second outing, only caught 2 fish on it!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I did once see a Test in black whipping with the later 'two fishes' logo, rather than the 'happy angler' gold oval, so I'd always presumed that black silk denoted a later rod, just as it does with Edgar Sealey rods.

All the other Tests I've seen have been done in what I took to be yellow and black twist, often called 'jasper' ( A Southern nickname for a wasp). However I now believe it was black and white nylon with the old-fashioned oil-based varnish giving the white that 'yellow' tint, just as was the case with Aspindale rods.

As to when Tests were first made...well, I've never seen one with brass furniture, so I'd say post-War.

Martin

Post by Martin »

This one certainly looks original and has bells life rings rather than high/low bells but it's done in red white twist

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Digging up an old thread - but amongst a job lot of rod bits that I have is the lower half of a Marco Capella De Luxe. It has the Little Man label and red/white twist whipping which looks to be original. So presumably they did use this for some of their production.
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I'm beginning to suspect that sometimes the makers used what they had to hand ! Wouldn't you ? ;-)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Mine looked to be an early one when it arrived and it had dark green and red whippings. The number on the bottom of the butt section was 1953...I was told this was a retail number.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I did once restore a Marco rod with dark green whippings tipped in red...it was an old model with all brass furniture.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I have a Marco rod with brass fittings, whippings are Claret tipped in Green with Black inters (doesn't appear to be original as it looks to have been restored at some point). I have no idea of the model as that part of the decal has been lost, but I was told it was a Test.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Come to think of it that's the colours of the rod I restored...though the inters were actually very, very dark green. If one of your inters on the tip section is a slightly lighter green it was me! The rod never had a name on it, just the happy fisherman.

Here it is:

http://s259.photobucket.com/user/nobby4 ... rt=2&o=225

http://s259.photobucket.com/user/nobby4 ... rt=2&o=233

http://s259.photobucket.com/user/nobby4 ... rt=2&o=282

Slightly scarey to see that this was 7 years ago.......

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”