9ft Otter Brand rod, spinning?

The Youngs of Harrow Rods forum.
FloatFisher
Minnow

9ft Otter Brand rod, spinning?

Post by FloatFisher »

I've just acquired this Youngs of Harrow rod for restoration, it was sold as a spinning rod, but it would be nice to have a clearer identification. The rings look a bit small in diameter for a spinning rod, but the dimensions make me wonder if it was a pike rod, although I've never heard a rod sold as such.

The blanks are, bottom blank, 9/16 just above the handle, 7/17 at the ferrule. Top section, 7/16 just above the ferrule, 3/16 at the top ring.

Here are some pics.
Youngs rod (6).JPG
Youngs rod (7).JPG
Youngs rod (9).JPG
Youngs rod (8).JPG
Youngs rod.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FloatFisher
Minnow

Re: 9ft Otter Brand rod, spinning?

Post by FloatFisher »

Well, it seems quite likely it is a Pike rod, one has popped up on German Ebay, restored by Paul Cook. Same length, looks very similar dimensions. A mere
775 euros! Thats £670, so I'd better make a good job of it. However I'm not doing the job for resale, but as it's a good stout rod to use it for carp.

A couple of pics of the rod on Ebay.
Restored Youngs pike rod 2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

got my first fly rod from youngs of harrow......a cheap one still have it and use it for old times sake once or twice a year

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

That rod on EBay looks absolutely stunning, if I were a
Pike angler I'd snap it up

ATB Macko

Roachtench
Ruffe

Post by Roachtench »

Clive Young and step dad Jack made one of the most diverse range of rods among their contemporaries.. imagine the scene.
Fred walks into the Station Road, Harrow shop on a Friday evening after work. Hi Clive, I’m fishing the narrow, meandering Herts Colne and need
a perch spinning rod...”
‘Leave it to me Fred, come back in a week’. The following week Fred pops into the shop and collects his seven feet of ‘Bambacane’ spinner.

Later in the season Fred says: “ I could do with a stouter version of the little spinning rod. A nine feet version is made and supplied - all Youngs rods were virtually bespoke builds. Fred collects his nine foot spinning rod, quite possibly designed for pike.

In my den I have young rods of 6ft 6 inches ( small 3-4 weight brook rod), 7ft spinning rod, 9ft spinning/pike rod, 9 ft (Clive’s own six weight fly rod), a number of MkIV carp rods all on Southwell blanks, including Clive’s own, built in 1954 on Southwell blanks for Jack, with wide band signature whips used only on family rods, a powerful stepped up 10ft MkIV carp rod, and numerous general coarse rods of 10ft six inches and 10ft 8 inches with whole cane butt sections, 11ft two piece, 11ft 3 piece, 11ft Roach Rod, several 12ft three[piece all built cane rods, but including a 12ft two piece Southwell, 13ft and 14ft match rods.. at that length made of Spanish reed with spliced in tonkin cane tips to keep them light and manageable.

Youngs built to order.. in an era of real customer service., Nothing was too much trouble.

Your nine foot rod is whatever you want it to be FloatFisher... a ‘heavy water’ spinning rod, pike rod, carp stalker... perhaps even for speed it was built on a cut down Southwell carp blank though I have’t checked your tapers. I hope you are successful with the refurb and have many happy hours savouring the curve. All the best

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Not a shop I used often but shortly before they ceased trading I went in there
looking specifically for a heavy tench rod with standoff rings expecting to have
to order one. The proprietor,of whose name I never asked, attitude made the
customer,me,feel important by listening to the requirements. Hang on,I was told
whilst he disappeared into the dark rear of the shop to reappear with the very
thing already made. It had been to a customers spec including his name hand
written in white ink on the butt which I later scraped off.
Said customer had never returned to collect it.
The rod was just the job, but the service from them stays in the memory more so.
I can only assume the slightly built chap who served me was the much remembered Clive.

Roachtench
Ruffe

Post by Roachtench »

can someone explain to me the easiest way to upload an image please?
thanks

FloatFisher
Minnow

Post by FloatFisher »

I've just started restoration of the 9ft Youngs of Harrow Otter Brand Pike / Carp rod. It's all stripped, new period rings acquired to replace the old rusty ones, choosing the correct whipping was a bit of an issue, particularly the choice of grade. I measured a section of the old whipping thread with my dads! old micrometer, and its 15 thou or so which equates to grade A.

There are lot of emotional reasons for wanting to do this rod, my family come from Harrow Weald and Roxeth, back to the 17 hundreds. The house I first lived in, with my mum, dad and grandparents, as a nipper from 1947 to 1952 was in Milton Road, Poets Corner, Wealdstone, (don't bother looking for it, the whole place was demolished years ago!), a few hundred yards from Youngs, which was the first shop in Station Road going towards Harrow, right next to Bridge school. Dad bought his first rod from them, cane with a greenheart top, I inherited it when I was introduced to fishing at the age of 11, it was as straight as a dogs hind leg! I went on to buy my first own rod, a solid glass float rod, and many subsequent bits and bobs from Youngs over the years. I never really thought too much about who served me, but I think there was an older lady, maybe Mrs Young, and another chap who may have been Clive.

I was fascinated by the cased fish in the shop, hopefully, I can do the right thing by the rod and get some decent fish on it!

Roachtench
Ruffe

Post by Roachtench »

Here you are - a rather rare photo of the late Clive Young, enjoying his fishing in retirement in the Welsh foothills.
Does this look like an older version of the man who provided great customers service?

all best
Gary

FloatFisher
Minnow

Post by FloatFisher »

Nice photo, looks like he had a happy retirement! Pics of Youngs seem very rare, I've been searching for a photo of the shop front but no luck, i've got a photo of Bridge school but it's been framed to miss the shop on the left.

Return to “Youngs of Harrow Cane Rods”