Aspindale Bro's Aero 890

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Peter Foster

Aspindale Bro's Aero 890

Post by Peter Foster »

Hello everyone,

Looking for some help/information on the following. I was lucky enough to be given this stunning rod as a gift from a friend who's relative had recently passed away. I was given it to add to my collection as he knew of my interest in vintage fishing tackle.

The help part is that although the rod is in pristine condition, it lacks a butt ring. Who could help me with this and possibly do the restoration as I want the job to be perfect?

The info part. Firstly would I be correct in thinking it is an early Aspindale due to rod bag label which gives the company name as 'Aspindale Bro's'?
I can't find much info on the 890 looking on the net, but more than likely I'm looking in the wrong places (computers are not my strong point)? The rod is inscribed 'The Aero' and underneath '890'. If I can work out how to post pictures on here I will do so. I'm looking for any info on it's history and age if possible?

Many thanks

Peter

Peter Foster

Re: Aspindale Bro's Aero 890

Post by Peter Foster »

Couple of pic's if this helps?

Best

Pete

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

I have one a Aero 890. I will look at the rod and take a picture of the butt ring tomorrow. I am not sure if I have a matching ring in my drawer. We´ll see. It is a very fine light rod, ideal for roach fishing in my opinion. Hollow built and feels perfect in the hand. Otherwise I have not much information on this rod. I am sure one of the oher TFFers can help. Nobby?
I come back to you tomorrow, Bobby

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Afternoon Peter. What a lovely rod. And very special too. You will soon find out much more about it. Nobby, Mal & co will have all the information you need. What I can't see though is where this lovely piece is in need of a full restoration. To rewhip a new butt ring can be done on its own. Maybe just a 'secure' coat of fresh varnish. But also there will be some addresses here. Dr. cane (Wal) is one of them.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah...a 'brothers' rod bag...rare as hen's teeth!

The Aero range was only made between 1946 and 1949 when the brothers William and James parted ways. Sometimes the rods were called Aerolite, reflecting the fact that they were hollow-built without dams, a difficult process which James had learned before the War at Milwards.

I don't know what became of William but James formed a new Aspindale company with his son Peter and henceforth the rods were called Dalesman and invariably had the word 'dale' somewhere in their names.

The Aero range included the '89' series which reflected their lengths, the 890 being 10'6", the 891 being 11 foot, the 892 being 12 foot and the super-rare 894 rods being 11'3"...slightly out of sequence there..... There was an 893 but I think, like the 896 it was built with a whole cane butt and called an Avon. I don't think I've seen an 895...Olly??

As far as I know they were otherwise identical with garnet whippings, hook-keepers and Peter's beautiful handwriting with his most unusual capital A's.

Much later on I believe the 890 was made again for Tom Watson in Nottingham who sold it as his Wasp, a rod he offered until at least 1970, but I don't know just who was making the rod then....maybe Peter, who had to learn how to make rods after the split with Tony Croft, he only having done management and travelling salesman work before that .... just possibly they were made by Ken Johnson who may have made the Falcon rod range that so often copies the Aeros.

Yours is undoubtedly an early rod though. Keep its varnish in good order, they can be prone to delamination if water gets in. And don't twist to separate the rod section, those un-dammed lengths can split too easily. It is most likely that the tip section too, is at least in part hollow built!

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Nobby wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:36 am
Much later on I believe the 890 was made again for Tom Watson in Nottingham who sold it as his Wasp, a rod he offered until at least 1970, but I don't know just who was making the rod then.
And, I believe, also for Foster Bros who sold it as The Perfection. My Perfection has a scarily thin butt section. You can slide a tip section all the way up from the bottom of the handle until it bangs into the dam at the bottom of the female ferrule. It's not a tight fit either :shocked:
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Peter, I have measured the butt ring of my rod as OD: 12.6 mm ID: 8.2 mm. Tinypics does not let me upload pictures at the moment. I´ll try later to get some pictures.
Unfortunately I have no matching ring in my drawer but I am sure you can find one quite easily. You could for example ask Peter at Oliver's Rods: oliversrods@tiscali.co.uk
My rod has some rusted rings and I was thinking to replace them but I am not sure if I should do it or just try to get them polished a bit. I have some respect because of the hollow built. Anyway, if you just need to replace one ring it should be relatively easy to do.
Nobby, on my rod is another number written just above the hook keeper: 460. Is that a serial number?
Thanks, best of luck with your rod, Peter. Bobby

Peter Foster

Post by Peter Foster »

Thanks for the replies and advise guys, much appreciated.

I can't wait to use it once I get the replacement ring sorted. Apart from this, it is in mint condition.

Cheers

Pete

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm unsure Bobby, I haven't seen an Aspindale rod with a serial number that I can recall... perhaps Olly can help?

Aspindale had a habit of fitting smaller butt rings than most folk, as evidenced by Bobby's measurements. This is close:

http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/produc ... tegory/261

But the ceramic insert should match the tip ring...if it's a clear one you may have a problem matching it!

Peter Foster

Post by Peter Foster »

Thanks Nobby,

Just checked and the tip ring lining is red.

Cheers

Pete

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”