Multi-joint Aspindale!!

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Multi-joint Aspindale!!

Post by Olly »

Just found a multi-joint Aspindale Dalesman rod - well it has black/gold badge - but I think the rod is Japanese!!

Fakers??

Fredline
Tench

Re: Multi-joint Aspindale!!

Post by Fredline »

I also saw this item and it is most definitely a fake. It was mass produced in Japan and sold in Woolies in the early 1960's. Just check out the very cheap tin ferrules, Aspindales would never have used such rubbish. The handle is made to reverse and then it becomes a fly fishing rod.Very common and very cheap.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just show how careful the starter collector needs to be - in fact anyone!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Fredline wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:02 am I also saw this item and it is most definitely a fake. It was mass produced in Japan and sold in Woolies in the early 1960's. Just check out the very cheap tin ferrules, Aspindales would never have used such rubbish. The handle is made to reverse and then it becomes a fly fishing rod.Very common and very cheap.
Out of interest Fredline, do you think the process here is that Woolies imported cheap but perfectly legit rods from Japan. Recently, someone gets their hands on one and slaps a fake (or legit?) Aspindale's label on it?
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

I had one that came with another rod and it had Milwards written in very neat hand writing. I sanded it off and sold it on, both rods had been restored very nicely but clearly meant to deceive. I have recently seen another 3 piece rod with B James written in the same way and in the same locality.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

This item is definitely meant to deceive. The seller may have bought it in good faith, who knows. I have 2 quite superb Avon style 2 piece cane rods that are marked very nicely with the legends "Homers of Forest Gate" and "Avon Mk 1V" but they are nothing to do with Homers or the MK 1V range.
Caveat Emptor every time.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

If you look closely at the label on the rod in question, you will notice that the chap fishing is actually wearing his underpants on the outside so surely it's a "Superman Rod".

Wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

You'll never keep dry wearing waders! Or are you doing a Bob Brookes! Or is that BB in the logo?

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”