Priory Rods, Bournemouth, England

The Priory Rods of Bournemouth Rods forum.
StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Priory Rods, Bournemouth, England

Post by StalkingLuke »

Another one from a car boot sale for a few pounds. Three section, eleven foot cane rod.
The bottom section is whole cane and the top two sections are split cane. It has 6 rings, the butt and tip ring are lined. It's quite sturdy and I guess could have been designed with barbel in mind.

It is in a reasonable condition although the bottom section has a split but it doesn't seem to open when put under strain so I will attempt to get some glue in there and whip it. The intermediate rings are a little corroded so I will probably replace these as they all need re whipping anyway. The split cane sections are in a good and true condition.
It has another label supplied by - G E Berrett, Egham Surrey.

Does anybody know any more?
Thanks
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Haydn Clarke

Re: Priory Rods, Bournemouth, England

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Sounds like an Avocet type rod. Possibly the Priory Throop. Much sought after, I believe.

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Thanks Haydn, I will post some pics later, when I get some time I will have a proper search on the web and see what it compares to. This gives me a direction to start with thanks.

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

My brother picked it up for £3 at a car boot sale here are some pictures-
P1050531.JPG
It's a little tatty but structurally very sound so I'm going to replace some of the corroded rings and whippings.
P1050534.JPG

P1050536.JPG
Unfortunately it does have a split in the whole cane butt section but as it is so sturdy it doesn't seem to have any effect on the action. I'm going to glue it and add a couple of extra whippings to stop it deteriorating further. Any advice on glue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Cascamite will do it.........

That's big old split, isn't it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200g-Cascamit ... 43aab4e82f

Just leave it bound up in string overnight. Wind in both directions to stop any twist being transferred to the cane.

A few whips over that split should do the trick.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I'd run a magnifying glass along the joints in the split cane sections as well Luke. That split isn't due to over bending so the rod may have been poorly stored. It would be a shame to put a lot of work in then find that the split cane is, so to speak! I can testify that having a rod go whilst playing a fish is not good on the nerves!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Nobby wrote:Cascamite will do it.........

That's big old split, isn't it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200g-Cascamit ... 43aab4e82f

Just leave it bound up in string overnight. Wind in both directions to stop any twist being transferred to the cane.

A few whips over that split should do the trick.
My Wizard had a three-inch split in the whole cane when I bought it, but it was cheap and in such a state generally I wasn't too worried about that. Many years, lots of big fish and a professional restoration later the rod is very swish and the split is still three inches long, so I guess they don't affect the strength any.

I'd use any strong glue suitable for wood; Cascamite is probably as good as any, but my only experience with it was disappointing. I'd probably use Unibond or something. Work plenty into the plit, then bind as tightly as possible with strong string and leave to set. The split will still be visible, but the binding should close it up a little. You can put a reinforcing whip over it if you like, but I don't think it makes much difference.

These splits are not caused by failure of the cane under stress, but by a change in the moisture content. It may be that dampness has got into the rod during storage, or it may be that it was not properly seasoned when made, and has since dried out. In structural hardwoods they are called shakes, and are a perfectly normal feature of the ageing process; go into any old country pub and look at the oak beams.

If nothing else it's always useful to have an excuse for a trip to a pub.

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Back in the days when I made a few split cane rods I found that Tonkin when left in a warm room dried out and thats when I found splits in the blanks. I used to force the split open and file with a three square swiss file [triangular] a few grouves in the split so that there was a bit more glue in places. Whipping hid the grouves. If you whip it really tight you only end up with a trace of glue to hold it together. Incidentally to stop a split going further. Drill with a tiny drill in a hand chuck at each end of the split [past the split.. by a few thou]. Thats also a good dodge on both glass and carbon rods although I usually put a [waste] tube of glass inside the blank for additional strength. Never throw away odd bits of broken rods which might become useful one day. Indeed I have quite a number of odd cane lengths from broken roach poles. Priceless !!

Mike

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Horrifyingly, that 'hole at the end of a split' ruse works for aircraft too!

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Thanks for the advice I will report back when I've found time to attempt the repair.

Return to “Priory of Bournemouth Cane Rods”