Oliver's of Knebworth

The Oliver's of Knebworth Rods forum.
Badger1
Roach

Oliver's of Knebworth

Post by Badger1 »

For those interested.....couple of images of Ted Oliver's rods in action. These rods are superbly made....the best splitcane you'll find. The finish had a habit of being a bit standard but ask a modern maker (Andrew Davis) to strip it off and re-finish and then really does the rod justice.

The 12ft'er below is one Andrew renovated the other one is orginal finish (with rather nice 4.5" early pre-tension regulator Coxon).

ttfn

Hermit
Rudd

Re: Oliver's of Knebworth

Post by Hermit »

Beautiful rod Badger and truly wonderfully composed photo's, love the rod, net, reel and fish! :mrgreen:
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

A custom made Oliver's 12ft Traiditonal Avon in action. Renovated by Andrew Davis a few years ago to a superb standard. With a barbel just over 9lb.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Very nice Badger1. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

i have been offered from a good source a Olivers of Knebworth carp rod 10ft like a mark iv anybody know anything about the rod, dont do a lot of carp fishing but was thinking of a stalking rod for Barbel any info would be useful.
Bumble

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I have an Olivers MKIV and it is an excellent rod, it should be great as a Barbel stalker.

Isis
Perch

Post by Isis »

Don't worry bumble it'll make a fine stalking rod for barbel. Bought a whole range of Ted's glass blanks in the early 1960s. 1lb, 1 1/4 lb, 1 1/2 lb and 2 3/4 lb. All at 10 foot two piece. They performed well then and are still perfectly OK now. The original 1 1/2lb carp blank was in honey brown but he did have later blanks in green. The only refinement I have made is to fit spigots but the action is fine for barbel and I still enjoy using mine to this day.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

If it's cane I'd bite the seller's arm off. Olivers made some stunning cane rods. All those I've handled (actually not many) have been fabulous things. I don't know anything about their glass rods.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Both the Oliver's "MKIVs" I have are super rods which I use for Carp/Pike through to Barbel, the Avon is a super rod too but they seem hard to find. The "MKIVs" however are not the same taper as a "true" MKIV. The taper is almost extended into the tip section i.e. a beefer bottom section which continues into the tip for a little bit. Great rods.

The only Oliver's rod which is questionable in a sense of why you'd want it is the 13/14' Tench rods. Masterfully made but god they are heavy despite being hollowed.

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Oliver's Kennet Perfection in action last night. :-)

Return to “Oliver's of Knebworth Cane Rods”