Tench rod.”A Closer Walk With Thee” Any comments?

The Oliver's of Knebworth Rods forum.
Damflask
Grayling

Tench rod.”A Closer Walk With Thee” Any comments?

Post by Damflask »

A bit of an impulse buy.
Does anyone own one?

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Damflask on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Any comments?

Post by Duckett »

I almost made the same impulse buy but decided I couldn’t justiy another cane rod at the moment.

However, for what it’s worth, I have an Oliver’s of Knebworth fibreglass Tench rod (handle plus 2 sections, green glass with orange whipping and black intermediates) the lettering for “Tench” and “Guaranteed Hand Built” look identical to those on your rod. My lettering for “Oliver’s” and “Guaranteed Hand Built” matches those words I have seen on other Oliver’s rods and, reading other posts here, I believe those transfers are impossible to get.

It looks a very sweet rod, but i’ve Never seen that logo before. My congratulations.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Damflask
Grayling

Post by Damflask »

I’m just worried now that the top joint is fibreglass?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Damflask wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:23 pm I’m just worried now that the top joint is fibreglass?
On that, you will need one of the people here with more knowledge of Oliver’s than I. All I can say is that I have seen cane rods with original glass top sections by both Edgar Sealey and Allcocks, so why not others.

One last observation, one dealer currently has an Oliver’s early brown glass rod for sale - from the photo of both, the colour of the glass is very similar to yours. Mind you, that may mean nothing - I have 5 early glass Edgar Sealey rods and no 2 are precisely the same shade of golden brown!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Tench rod.”A Closer Walk With Thee” Any comments?

Post by Tengisgol »

I do wonder, looking at this, whether it is a hybrid?

I thought that the Oliver’s tench rods were twelve or thirteen feet of cane, so perhaps a glass rod has been spliced into the butt of an original tench rod?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Lovely looking rod whatever it is.

Wal.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Looking closer at the butt section id say it,s been restored, you can see where the whipping was originally

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Picture 1 - shows a whole cane butt with whole cane spliced in to make the bottom joint. 5 ft?

This does not appear to be seen easily in Image 4 where it shows a 2 joint 10 ft rod.

A better photo if possible showing the tip could resolve whether it is glass or other material.

I made a similar looking rod from a whole cane butt section (a broken Edgar Sealey Floatcaster I think courtesy of Bill Rushmer) and a hollow glass top joint - in about the early 60's. Made as a "donkey top" for ledgering.

Thinking about it it was about 40 in X 2 long so 7-8 ft max.

Damflask
Grayling

Post by Damflask »

It’s fibreglass spliced into a whole Cane butt and the top joint is fibreglass.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Quite a few hollow glass rods were constructed with a whole cane butt. I had one in the early 60s, a nice general purpose rod, then again, all rods were general purpose in those days. It was nothing unusual to see lads catching whiting and flatties from the pier with old fly rods :Hahaha:

Wal.

Return to “Oliver's of Knebworth Cane Rods”