Sliding or not ?

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
DWW
Grayling

Sliding or not ?

Post by DWW »

Has anyone any experience of the bite registration of a sliding leger rig versus a fixed one ? I usually fish a sliding swimfeeder rig for Bream and Roach . But the local match guys have recommended using a " fixed" loop rig . I have used this in the past but did not get on with it . However the bites with a fixed rig are better . I notice that Fred Clayton and even the great Ivan Marks recommended a fixed Leger rig with improved bite results . I appreciate the issues around tethering etc and won't be using it for larger fish . Any one any views ? I may move to just tying a large loop then snipping it and using one end for the Leger/swimfeeder and the other as the hooklength . Any one used the " dink dink " rig by the way ?

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Sliding or not ?

Post by Olly »

A dink dink - is merely an adaptation of a paternoster rig. Lead/feeder/etc at one end and a hook attached to a link above the weight!

The length of the hooklink can be short, terminating above the weight/feeder, or be flowing up to 5ft below the weight/feeder.

Personally I use this type of rig for smaller fish up to about 4lb, roach, skimmers, rudd, etc as indication can be finicky. It can be a self hooking rig with the fish pulling both the indicator and the lead especially if small hooks are used.

I prefer a helicopter or running rig for larger fish with larger hooks.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

A swan shot or two for me depending on the flow and just letting the bait roll and settle where other food items may collect. I tend to hold the rod and feel the line whilst watching the tip of the rod. The length between shot and hook will depend on what bait I'm using, what swim I'm in and what I want the bait to do.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

The fixed loop rig works better for shy biting fish. I often start with a running leger but if I miss too many bites I sometimes switch to a fixed loop and sometimes start catching. More often than not the switch does the trick. But if I suspect barbel are in the swim I stick with a free running lead just in case I get snapped up. If I know barbel are in the swim then I up my line from 4 to 6 or 8lb and don't even consider the fixed loop.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Ledgering”