Close in ledgering

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Close in ledgering

Post by Olly »

Proper 'old fashioned angling' - rather similar to my efforts as a 14 year old to catch my first tench! Which I am pleased to say I did from Bushey Park in 1960.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Olly wrote:Proper 'old fashioned angling' - rather similar to my efforts as a 14 year old to catch my first tench! Which I am pleased to say I did from Bushey Park in 1960.
Old and old fashioned but I caught alot of Carp when they were much more difficult to catch than they are these days. I read and re-read the Walker books and articles (and still do) and he always reckoned to keep it as simple as possible - if you don't need lead then don't use it - likewise with a float - if you don't need one don't use one.

I fully accept that if Walker & Co were about these days then both their tackle and methods would have moved on but I do like simplicity and it still catches enough fish for me to thoroughly enjoy every bankside visit I make. Nothing has ever replaced the sight of the folded paper leaping off the ground and hitting the butt ring.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

PershoreHarrier wrote:
Olly wrote:Proper 'old fashioned angling' - rather similar to my efforts as a 14 year old to catch my first tench! Which I am pleased to say I did from Bushey Park in 1960.
Old and old fashioned but I caught alot of Carp when they were much more difficult to catch than they are these days. I read and re-read the Walker books and articles (and still do) and he always reckoned to keep it as simple as possible - if you don't need lead then don't use it - likewise with a float - if you don't need one don't use one.

I fully accept that if Walker & Co were about these days then both their tackle and methods would have moved on but I do like simplicity and it still catches enough fish for me to thoroughly enjoy every bankside visit I make. Nothing has ever replaced the sight of the folded paper leaping off the ground and hitting the butt ring.
Weird, based on the swearing I thought you hated every minute of it!

PS. As Keith said above, simple is good!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

LuckyLuca wrote:
PershoreHarrier wrote:

Weird, based on the swearing I thought you hated every minute of it!

PS. As Keith said above, simple is good!

Surely not swearing but pleas to the almighty for assistance such that my strikes may connect - problem with getting old is that the reactions are not what they used to be. We will have another day out at that fine pool of yours and I will try and do better. Often the first visit is a sighter a la Stockton.

But yes I enjoy every bankside minute with or without divine assistance.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I would use a sliding float then you would have something to watch!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A line that could be felt - touched and spook a fish to me is a big no-no! Unless they are not line shy - not many places where angling is carried out where that is the case.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Olly wrote:A line that could be felt - touched and spook a fish to me is a big no-no! Unless they are not line shy - not many places where angling is carried out where that is the case.
That is where free lining pays off though if you let the line settle on the bottom and bring it up just beyond the rod tip. Some folk I know would tie on a back lead to ensure the line was fully on the bottom but I never found the need for that.

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

I really like the idea of a little knob ... NO, not that sort, thanks!

I meant the little knob of plasticine as a back lead to make sure the line is firmly on bottom. Could be just the job for a problem water where I was trying to fish close in, on bottom, and found the carp were taking off for the middle of the pool at a rate of knots - and without ever picking up the bait.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

This sounds very much like an estate lake I used to fish for carp. One of my favourite swims was a quiet corner with very thick silt but only in places. A careful walk with chest waders revealed hard spots that the feeding carp had made.
if you can't do this then put a piece of dissolvable foam inside a PVA bag of freebies and nick that onto the hook. The foam will slow the hook length descent down and if you combine that with a slowly sinking bait you should defeat the dreaded silt.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

For this very purpose in the 1940's LA Parker invented the wooden ledger; a 3/4" length of hardwood dowel with a hole running through the middle, and add just enough shot to make it sink. When a fish bites and moves off the wooden ledger has a tendency to rise and this eliminates drag. For longer casting or groundbaiting one can squeeze groundbait around it for extra weight. So who thought that the method feeder was a modern concept?? And no need for modern rigs!!

Found in LA Parker's Roach: How to Catch Them. Possibly one of the best 'how to' fishing books ever written.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Ledgering”