float ledgering

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
Taprobanes

Re: float ledgering

Post by Taprobanes »

Never been a fan of the slider float rather go to the ledger but as in all things its personal choice, as long as we enjoy the method used and not just follow fashion.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Taprobanes wrote:Never been a fan of the slider float rather go to the ledger but as in all things its personal choice, as long as we enjoy the method used and not just follow fashion.
The slider float can be a very effective and sensitive way of fishing in pits/lakes which are very deep even in the margins - eg 20 feet deep less then ten yards from the bank. Claypits are often like this and also often contain good numbers of tench , bream , roach where float fishing is therefore a preferrable way to fish but the depth means sliders are a good choice.
Last edited by Julian on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Taprobanes

Post by Taprobanes »

I'm sure it works but I never liked it as a method I was never sure the float was at the stop knot

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Taprobanes wrote:I'm sure it works but I never liked it as a method I was never sure the float was at the stop knot
If the float had not reached the stop-knot it would be lying flat.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I use locslide floats a fair bit, the weight is usually a swimfeeder of some kind, I find a good method on deep water especially when it is a bit windy. Bites are usually very positive ether a lift or sudden disappearance of the float. For shallow water I some times use a float over depth on a tight line with swan shot to keep the hook link on the bottom, in this case the bite is generally a lift one as the fish moves the shot.

Taprobanes

Post by Taprobanes »

OK Julian I give up, BUT I Dont Like IT I have tried the method a few times years ago and was never happy. Its a lot of messing to find the depth in deep water to set the stop Knot correctly depth and with a shelving bottom you need to make sure your casting to same spot every time unless you fish with a slow angle on the line from weight to float and that I think is not the correct setup.

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

I've developed a way I float fish for carp these days that works for me when I CANNOT see the carp feeding in muddied water?

Place a goose quill at depth fixed top and bottom. Then slide a pierced bullet on the line 3/4 to 1 ounce works for me? Then a small bead then two float stops, then a hook size to suit? All placed on the line in that order.

I set the float stops between 6'' and 18'' from the hook depending on what bait I use. It works as a float fished bolt rig. When the fish takes the bait, it feels the lead ad bolts.

As I say, if I can see the carp, I WILL float fish as normal. But if you have along wait, this does work as the fish hooks itself, MOSTLY.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Bolt Rigs, Fish hooking themselves ....... we have a blasphemer...... :shocked:
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Old thread I know but was just reading through it. Thinking of giving it a go sometime. Anyone ever tried it on a river? Only used it on still waters in the past. Thanks

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

I do 90% of my Pike fishing using a float ledger and its all about balancing your setup.
Step one you cast out. Step two you reel back until you set the float as you like it.
The trick is using enough wait so you have something to set your float against but not to much that the fish feel it.
your wait can be fixed or running and set as close or as fare a way as you see fit. You can fish your float locked off or in
deep water have it running stopped with a stop knot.
You set your float about 18-24in over depth and wind the line back until the float cocks as you would like it to.
I float ledger for Carp, Tench, Pike and even Roach. Its also great with a Centrepin.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Return to “Ledgering”