Hooklength when ledgering in rivers

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Hooklength when ledgering in rivers

Post by Santiago »

I also use a float stop but use it on the mainline of about 2lb stronger than a short hooklink lenght, and that way I can vary the actual distance between the hook and weight, and when touch ledgering for roach this summer, I found a longer hooklink did not produce anymore bites but did produce more hooked fish. And for a boom affect I use 4 beads between the float stop and weight (swivel clip etc.)

Not sure about using a loop though. I use to use a loop system for bream until barbel started showing up in my swims so I had to up the mainline and hooklink strenght. Problem with loop systems is they are tether rigs and if one is broken off by a big fish said fish can end up swimming off attached to a feeder or weight, so one has to be very careful in checking line quality and knots etc. throughout the session; I think I use to have to change my loops about every few hours when the fish are really having it.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

...I understand. It was a Bream and Roach rig I was describing as apart from a few Barbel in the Wensum now we don't see them up here and when I do go after them I use a similar in-line rig to the one you describe, similar for Chub. Good point though..it needed to be said. As the hook length is usually much lighter than the main line loop it never causes any problems and is widely used in matches to stiffen up the end gear and quick changes.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Santiago wrote:I also use a float stop but use it on the mainline of about 2lb stronger than a short hooklink lenght, and that way I can vary the actual distance between the hook and weight, and when touch ledgering for roach this summer, I found a longer hooklink did not produce anymore bites but did produce more hooked fish. And for a boom affect I use 4 beads between the float stop and weight (swivel clip etc.)

Not sure about using a loop though. I use to use a loop system for bream until barbel started showing up in my swims so I had to up the mainline and hooklink strenght. Problem with loop systems is they are tether rigs and if one is broken off by a big fish said fish can end up swimming off attached to a feeder or weight, so one has to be very careful in checking line quality and knots etc. throughout the session; I think I use to have to change my loops about every few hours when the fish are really having it.
I use the loop system myself a fair amount but generally have either a weaker link of line attaching my weight or more often than not swan shot clipped on a trailing piece of line. This saves any issues of tether rigs.

The thing that would worry me about your set up Santiago if used on the rivers I fish would be the possibility of a fish running under streamer weed for example and then the float stop and weight being able to slide down to the hook whilst pulling a fish back through it?

I must add I was presuming you were meaning the float stops which pull off a sprig of wire or is there now something more modern I've perhaps missed?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Strangely, and I've never figured it out, I always catch much more bream when using a loop than with an in-line system, even with the same length of hooklink. And bite registration is much better!

Also, I'd thought about using a float stop/loop system but could not quite figure out where to place the float stop, so thanks for the suggestion. I use the Drennan ones, but I never actually use them as float stops!

Shaun, the float stops I use have been around at least since the early eighties and are a simple circle of plastic with a plastic peg. And yes, under certain circumstances the lead can be pulled back towards the hooked fish, but only as far as the hooklink knot so I can't really see any problem with that with respect to fish safety! Otherwise, the lead is completely free running!

If the lead though, were to slide down right to the hook, would this damage the fishes mouth in someway?? Is that what you're getting at?? Or cause the fish to come off???

I use to use the sprig of wire float stops but did not like them moving down the line etc...

Hemingway

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I know what you mean now, I always used to sell the plastic loops and pegs as leger stops, hadn't realised they were now referred to as float stops. My mistake.

I was concerned about the weight ending up at the hook and thus more chance of the fish shedding the hook. The shorter the gap between the hook and the weight (less cushioning) results in more hook pulls.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

My mistake Shaun, I've been calling leger stops float stops!!! Hence I never use them as float stops!

Hemingway

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

..an easy little tip guys try using a cut match stick in those ledger stops.. easier on the line and easier to remove. Those little pegs are a nightmare...
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Aquaerial wrote:..an easy little tip guys try using a cut match stick in those ledger stops.. easier on the line and easier to remove. Those little pegs are a nightmare...
A very good tip, I never liked the early leger stops because of the line crimping damage they created. The never versions seemed better but like the simple idea of a match as it will swell and tighten when wet too but soft enough I imagine not to affect the line with swelling.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Excellent tip. I'll give it ago when next touch legering/quiver tipping etc.!

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I prefer them when barbel are about. I don't like the thought of the main line snagging with a fish on etc. and then the fish being tethered to a feeder or weight. Where I fish for barbel the bottom has big flinty rocks/gravel and even with a weaker hook link the main line can be abrased and snap first.

Hemingway

Return to “Ledgering”