Winter Perch Campaign... building my kit up....

This forum is for discussing Lure Fishing.
Aitch
Pike

Winter Perch Campaign... building my kit up....

Post by Aitch »

Well I have been sorting out a few bits for my lure/drop shotting winter campaign... I can neither afford, nor would want to use a cane lure rod for this method, (the arthritis in my mands is getting steadily worse so c*rb@n it will have to be...) to that end I managed to source a Ron Thompson 5-20 gram, 7' lure rod for a tenner from Go-Outdoors :shocked: I like things that cheap....

I'll mate it with something suitable for a braid mainline of about 15lb and on the advice of the venerable members of this forum, some Drennan Soft Strand for some traces... I managed to find some Perch Lures from Go.. they were £6 for 8 lures.... you cannot argue with that.... tomorrow I'll be over to Angling Direct (after a hospital appointment for my arthritis) for the braid and wire trace material and hopefully get out this week for my first taste of drop shotting/ Perch Lure fishing
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Winter Perch Campaign... building my kit up....

Post by Santiago »

I tend to pay between £5-10 for a perching plug from rapala and salmo but they work wonders. I find the cheaper ones work but they are no where near as good! So good luck Bluelabel, but wherelures are concerned the cheaper ones mean less fish on the bank!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Martin

Post by Martin »

AGM discount, it's a one stop shop for all your perching needs.

Look for some 2-2.5" kopyto shads on 5g 2/0 jigheads you'll catch plenty of perch on them

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I find the body of cheap lures work fine, but the hooks are useless and bend when they meet the smallest of jacks. I buy cheap lures and replace the hooks with proper ones by Fox. You can save money that way.

I also think that, to a large extent, the expensive lures are a waste of money and the fancy colours only help to catch anglers.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Martin

Post by Martin »

I made the majority of my ultralight lures, had I not I'd still opt to buy lures from the big brands. I do own a good few rapalas, storm, yo zuri etc but I'd still opt for a soft plastic at this time of year over a hard bait and I'd concentrate on keeping it close or bouncing it along the bottom, yes you might sacrifice a few to the fishing gods (read snags) but at a few pence each it's nothing to worry about. If you aren't losing a few your not fishing in the right places :Wink:

Oh and yellow is a great colour for perch

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

The Perch Lures were Berkley Powerbait Lures and the majority of my Jellies are from Sue Harris's shop.... so not really any old, any old.... there's cheap lures and lures cheap...

Silly question, I've always crushed the barbs down on trebles for piking, is this something that is advisable for Perch

Many thanks for the heads up on the AGM Discount, will have a peruse

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I always crush all barbs down for my predator fishing. I think barbless get in the bony jaw better than barbed and I hate struggling to get barbed hooks out of a pike.

That said I cannot remember the last time I used a barbed hook for anything.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Martin

Post by Martin »

I sometimes wish I debarbed lures

But always leave them intact

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Owcha :Hide:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

My first choice would be for a braided mainline to get a direct contact with the lure so what breaking strain would you chaps suggest for Light lure work..???? (mainly for perch chub and the odd pike by accident) Off to Angling direct tomorrow for the Drennan Soft Strand in 10lb

@Martin.....ooooh blinkin' flip, that looks a tad..... "Ouch"..... that said I got a size 6 barbed Wide Gape in the pinkie a few years back.... hurt like the blazes when I pulled it out..... :shocked: :Cry:

Return to “Lure Fishing”