Lure fishing

This forum is for discussing Lure Fishing.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Lure fishing

Post by Santiago »

There appears to be a dearth of information on the forum with regard to lure fishing, traditional or otherwise!! Do any of you chaps practice the art?? It's great fun, especially when you only have a couple of hours to spare.

A couple of seasons ago I started fishing with ultra-lite lures, mainly tiny Rapalas and others in the 3-5cm range; they're amazingly effective for perch and big chub. Catching a 5 1/2lb chub on a 5' ultra-lite rod and tiny fixed spool reel is quite a battle!! And I'd rather catch a chub with this method any day. All my ultra-lites are de-barbed!!

Last year a friend told me about 'drop-shotting'; where you place the lead about 18" below the lure, normally a plastic worm on a small boom, cast out, then slowly retieve, slow enought that you feel the lead bouncing on the gravel. I found this method to be very effective. Have any of you chaps tried it?? This method came over from the States a few years ago, but I bet it has traditional roots in fly-fishing.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Re: Lure fishing

Post by JerryC »

I don't lure fish that much these days (although did a lot for all predators during the colder months of the 60's and 70's as part of a group) but do enjoy fishing shads on a jig heads for perch and chub from time to time - also chub (roach and dace) on the fly. However, in my opinion for actually catching fish, and not for the enjoyment aspect, live minnows are generally far more effective, also good for barbel especially in the early season.
PS My favourite method for chub is free lining either lobs, slugs or snails.
Dropshotting has been around for many years and is popular with bass anglers in the US, not one that I've bothered to use much although when i did I used straight tail or curl tail worms or one of the dropshot minnows
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I posted this thread last May. I was wondering if any of the newer members that have not yet seen this initial post do any lure fishing and if so what kind?

Hemingway

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

I use spinners during cold weather, when I want to keep active and move around a bit. I use Mepps style spinners and small lures in the hope of catching Perch. One advantage it has is the lack of bulk of tackle needed. Just a rod, reel and small creel containing a few essentials. One thing I did notice was the lack of barbless trebles available on the shop bought spinners from my local tackle shop. Had to get the pliers out and crush the barbs. I haven't used a barbed hook in over twenty years. I dare say barbless are available? Surely?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I use to use Mepps etc, but now prefer small Rapalas and Salmo plugs. I too crush all the barbs off. On the Thames deep divers work best to 7-9', to catch some big perch and big chub. The small Salmos are fantastic and have landed my son and I chub to 51/2 lb and perch to 21/2lb. The small plastic shads are also great for really getting down deep when hooked on a jig head!

Hemingway

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Have just purchased some mepps style spinners, and noticed that actual mepps are rather expensive what is the difference and do the colours have a big impact on what you may or may not catch
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

i love spinning for perch and pike with small spinners

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Mepps are probably better quality and rotate more freely when retrieved slowly. As for best colour, that tends to be the ones folk use most often and have confidence with. I prefer red/silver or red/gold and I've heard others rave about blue. If in doubt on colour just add a half inch of red wool to the trebles, that always works. Retrieve rate is just as important as colour. When it's warm retrieve at a faster rate than when it's cold, and when it's cold you also need to work the spinner through deeper water.

For bigger perch and chub use a bigger spinner, or a plastic worm or shad or small Rapala/Salmo. Or tip the end of the Mepps with the wiggly part of a plastic worm; this imparts action that draws in the bigger fish. If you just want big chub and big perch then a whole 5 to 6" plastic worm on a jig head will select out these specimens, use a sink and draw action but make sure the worm gets down to the bottom and jig alomg the bottom. Using this method I've only ever caught perch and chub over 1lb and have often seen a pair of perch (2lb plus) attacking the worm at the same time at the end of a retrieve! Red motor oil is the best colour, next to fluorescent orange!

Hemingway

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have posted elsewhere about my fishing for chub with a mepps spinner and whilst I have not done this for a number of years I do intend to re-visit the Severn this year with a BAA day ticket providing we get some decent weather, clear water and levels appropriate to summer to see how it all matches up now.

The BAA control long stretches of the Severn and it means you can not only travel light but you are unlikely to run out of spots in which to fish.

Most of my spinning for chub was done in the early 1970s with a James MkIV Carp rod - Mitchell 308 - 5lb bs line and the never to be forgotton anti-kink vane about a foot in front of the spinner.

I always used to cast directly up stream or diagonally across and up stream and would retrieve just slightly faster than the current. Once I had covered each section of water twice I would move on - a lovely way to spend a day especially in fine weather.

Martin

Post by Martin »

I've done lots of ultra light and ultra ultra light lure fishing, still go in between fly fishing. Built most of the crankbaits that I use nowadays, I've got a few raps etc but much prefer to catch on my own lures. I've even had gudgeon on tiny crankbaits from my local river

Return to “Lure Fishing”