Mepps Spinners

This forum is for discussing Lure Fishing.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Mepps Spinners

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Mazza wrote:i love them for perch fishing but never cought a chub with one
I have caught a few perch on Mepps spinners and mostly just off relatively fast water but never had one over one and half pounds.

Chub on the other hand using a silver and blue spot No. 1 Mepps in July / August (providing the weather is good) has delivered some really good chub from both the Severn and the Lower Teme. The best Chub fishing I had with spinners on the Severn was in the early 1970's using my newly acquired James Mk IV - Mitchell 308 and 5lb bs line with an anti-kink vane set about a foot from the spinner. The best Chub I had was just under 5lb 12oz and my friend who was fishing with me at the time came running along the bank to take a photo with a Boots Instamatic Camera we had. As he came down the bank which was both steep and wet from a recent shower he lost his footing and slid none to gracefully into the Severn. He reminded me for years that all he could hear from me was 'Save the camera Thompson.' whereas what he had hoped to hear was 'Save yourself Thompson.' He was a none swimmer but the current was fast enough to carry him down to some shallows some 30 yards distant whereupon he ran aground.

The camera was full of water but saved and the film when developed sadly ruined. I have never had another Chub over 5lbs but I do fancy a couple of days spinning for them this year (especially as the BAA do day tickets) and with a single rod. landing net and small bag for tackle and food a good walk along the bank could be nicely interrupted by having a piece of bamboo cane bent.

As a matter of interest I have tried a fairly wide range of Mepps spinners for Chub including different sizes but the No. 1 silver with blue spots always produced the best results.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Re: Mepps Spinners

Post by Gord »

i think spinners for chub are only affective at a certain time of year overall i think a better option would be atop water or shallow diving plug as you can float them in to tighter swims with less chance of loosing them, a spinner would have to be fished in more open water than a plug it would also pick up more weed to lessen the affect of your lure. give plugs a try in the summer
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Return to “Lure Fishing”