Mepps Spinners

This forum is for discussing Lure Fishing.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Mepps Spinners

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I was wondering if these are still made as I have not seen any for a long time. I have seen some cheap imitations but they are not really the business.

In the summers of the early 1970's I used to catch some really good chub in the River Severn in and around Hampton Loade on a Mepps No'1 silver with blue spots spinner. Unfortunately I used to lose spinners on underwater obstacles and whilst I would replace them as funds allowed I noticed when sorting out some of my tackle that the Mepps box is substantially depleted.

If we can be rewarded with a decent summer this year I rather fancy a mid week day on the Severn spinning for chub - with just a small bag, single rod and landing net and half a dozen or so casts at each spot before moving on.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Mepps Spinners

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I used to use Mepps style blade spinners a lot for salmon on the tiny River Bovey and River Teign but used to make them myself to keep the costs down. This could be an option?

A quick Google search will bring up various lure making components.

I guess it is the same as tying my own flies and producing my own baits it is simply very rewarding having the fish wanting to eat something you have created. I used to make a yellow Flying C (blade spinner with a rubber tail) with a red head that totally out fished any other Flying C I ever saw used.

I also used to make my blade spinners with clevices that allowed me to change the colour of the blade without changing the whole lure. This saved having to carry so many variants.

Just an idea and a little personal touch to your angling.

Last edited by Shaun Harrison on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mepps are still very much made and available.
I recently bought quite a few for perch spinning.
Just google them and you can buy them online.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Snape wrote:Mepps are still very much made and available.
I recently bought quite a few for perch spinning.
Just google them and you can buy them online.
Excellent news and many thanks Snape.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Try the Mepps Aglia Longue, no3. It's a willow blade. First time I used one I had a grebe pluck at it, I thought a pike was following it untill I saw the bird a plucking! If they can fool a bird then they must be good!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

i love them for perch fishing but never cought a chub with one

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

They are one of my favourite Perch lures and are still available

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

M
Last edited by Olly on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

With great respect are you sure that was a dab and not a flounder?
The British Record shore caught dab was around 2.09. Anything over a pound these days is a very good fish. Dreams are made of 5lb'ers !!

Mike

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Lol reminds me of a tale from about 20yrs ago, a friend fished a Large Beach Open, during the match he caught a horrible slimey thing that he didnt recognise, as he was pegged alongside Alan Yates he asked his opinion of what it was and was told it was a tadpole fish. Well anyway he was so repulsed at this slimey fish that he threw it back. Later at the weigh in he was approached by Alan Yates and one of the Match Organizers to weight his tadpole fish as they had consulted with each other and not only was it a likely British Record but he had also almost certainly won the Specimen Prize of £500. :laugh:
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Return to “Lure Fishing”