Welcome to the Ashby Cut.

This forum belongs to the Ashby Canal.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Welcome to the Ashby Cut.

Post by AshbyCut »

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: Welcome to the Ashby Cut.

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I did wonder if your name came from a canal, AC. Do you fish it a lot?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A couple of health issues have severely curtailed my angling on all waters over the past couple of years, young Sir ... which is why I spend so much of my time firkling on the forum and fiddling with my tackle (make up your own punch-lines) in my little man-cave. I'm hoping that this situation will rectified when I get to the top of a certain waiting list.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

That's a shame, AC. I hope you find yourself at the top of the list soon so you can get out fishing again. I have had a look at your website and it seems that you have collected a lot of very nice rods! I bet you cannot wait to use them.

I have never really liked canals. I find them too busy, with the boats and walkers on the towpath. There is a section near me that I did like, The Watcroft Wides on the Trent and Mersey. Only 2-3ft deep, so no good for the boats. I caught loads, including my first, carp there. But some **** cut the farmer's wire fence and his cattle got out onto the road. Now he will not let fishermen on his land. I haven't been on the canal since then really. I used to love it there. There were always carp there in summer evenings.

What is it you like about the canal?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Taprobanes

Post by Taprobanes »

Sorry to here you'r unable to get to water AC sir, I hope your nearing the top of list for whatever treatment will improve your mobility.
and wish you enjoy tight lines soon. :Hat:

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

I join the others in wishing you a speedy end to your health problems Sir.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thank you, Gentlemen All.

The Ashby Canal can be quite busy at times, though not to the levels of other canals. It is very quiet at others. It's the longest stretch of canal in the country which has no locks so there is very little 'flow' that is associated with others, and of course it is a 'no through road' ... coming to a halt at Snarestone at the moment, though there are plans to re-dig it through to the Moira section over the next few years.

The canal has been electro-fished a couple of times in the past few years in an attempt to remove the Zander, but I understand that it's beginning to slowly come back as far as fish stocks are concerned.

It's an SSSI above the Market Bosworth bridge, but below that all the way to the Bedworth Junction with the Coventry it can be fished with a Waterway Wanderers annual ticket for £20 (£10 Angling Trust Member/OAP/Disabled Licence ... £5 Junior). http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and- ... ers-scheme.

I've been told that there are some nice bream, and I know Mark has had a pikelet in recent times (see other thread).

I'm lucky enough to have a small cabin cruiser, which I bought to restore as a retirement project, and which is moored on the 'cut,' but that too has been put on hold in recent times. This means I have the facilities to make fresh tea on demand ... and hopefully I shall be worritting the gudgeon before too long.

Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

I too have a soft spot for canals, in spite of the irritations associated with them, having fished (among others) the Rufford branch of the Leeds/Liverpool canal for nigh on 30 years now. Not the easiest of waters, truth to tell, and they have a habit of fooling you just when you think you've got them all weighed up, but great satisfaction can be had from a proportionately large fish or a decent bag of fish from a contrary canal!
Hope you are mobile again soon, AC, and "gudgeoning" with the best of them! (Incidentally, I've never caught a gudgeon in the Rufford branch, which has always surprised me as I thought that gudgeon were ubiquitous in our inland waterways. Obviously not!)

:fishing1:
:fish:

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Pinhead wrote: (Incidentally, I've never caught a gudgeon in the Rufford branch, which has always surprised me as I thought that gudgeon were ubiquitous in our inland waterways. Obviously not!)
You should try the Leeds Liverpool canal (Leigh branch) we have Sturgeon in there :eyebrow:
see here
viewtopic.php?f=207&t=1218&start=20

:dance2:

Do you ever fish the Douglas at Rufford? I heard the free stretch next to Rufford fisheries (the one with the terapins in) is decent but is possibly brackish?
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Northern Eel wrote:
Pinhead wrote: (Incidentally, I've never caught a gudgeon in the Rufford branch, which has always surprised me as I thought that gudgeon were ubiquitous in our inland waterways. Obviously not!)
You should try the Leeds Liverpool canal (Leigh branch) we have Sturgeon in there :eyebrow:
see here
viewtopic.php?f=207&t=1218&start=20

:dance2:

That's a shame. :read:

Return to “Ashby Canal”