Oxford Canal colour

This forum belong to the Oxford Canal.
John Aston
Grayling

Re: Oxford Canal colour

Post by John Aston » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:02 pm

Coloured water is fine -for coarse fish yes except not great for fishing with lure or fly where , although fish see more than we think ,in coloured water they can see inches and not feet .So I am happy to fish in muddy spates for barbel, far less chance of sport with sight feeders like perch and pike .(I know they can smell, but results suggest not very well !)My default dropshot method is with natural worm , which I find far outfishes the rubber/silicon jobs except when fish are visibly hammering bait fish

Firebird
Arctic Char

Post by Firebird » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi Bob
Quite a few people do say that, especially sea anglers. I think it's one of those fishy myths.

Bob Brookes
Eel

Post by Bob Brookes » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:26 pm

FB,
I have used it with some success for perch and pike, although I erroneously believed it was fish oil based. I have checked and won't use it any more.
Never too old to learn!
"Dost though love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of" Benjamin Franklin

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:10 pm

As others have said, the Oxford canal has always been that way.
The only time I've seen it clear was a few years ago when the boat traffic was stopped for a while when the water level dropped due to a very dry winter. For a while it was almost crystal clear, so I suppose it is the boats that make it so murky.
Don't let it put you off. I fish it occasionally around Banbury and there are some decent perch, chub and zander amongst others.
I've even heard of barbel being caught north of Banbury, which is no great surprise given the proximity of the river Cherwell and the floods we've had in recent years.

Return to “Oxford Canal”