Kings Langley

This forum belong to the Grand Union Canal.
Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Re: Kings Langley

Post by Danny Boy »

I used to live on that road it was valley walk at croxley green my dad used to work at the post office next to the sun printers
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

I lived in Hemel Hempstead for many years and fished the canal a great deal over the years. Hunton Bridge section used to an excellent spot especially the point where the river joins the canal. Used to be great for chub! the Old Olvaltine factory in Kings Langley used to be a hang out for all the carp anglers as they had a food waste outlet into the canal. It provided clouds of sediment that the fish would swoop in on! Past the A41 roundabout that leads to the M25 was a favourite place of mine as I seldom saw anyone else fishing there apart from the friends I went with. Not fished those sections for 20 years plus but I'm sure they still hold the fish.
I have never fished the Gaywoods fishery as I have heard negative reports on the lady who runs it, I did call her once to enquire about fishing the lake and wasn't impressed with her attitude! Don't let that put you off she may not have liked mine!! I think the other lake in Kings Langley is run by Boxmoor angling club who have several waters in and around Hemel Hempstead. The Kings Langley water used to be run on a day ticket, most of their other waters were on a membership that was reasonably priced.
I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

I finally made it onto the GUC at Kings Langley last weekend and put in a couple of hours on the section running through the heart of the town. I've rarely seen a prettier stretch of canal, replete as it was with weeping willows and picture postcard moorings and back gardens. All along you could see the ripples formed by fish breaching, jumping and generally frolicking in the hot sun, but they were of the tiddler variety. The environs were made all the more pleasant by a quick stop off at Dallings to collect an enormous sandwich and a couple of local ales as sustenance for the afternoon.

Armed with maggot, caster and bread we tried a couple of spots, one just above a lock and one on a shaded bend further upstream and caught a handful of chublets and gudgeon. I'm sure there must be bigger fish in there but winkling them out past the clouds of babies may be a tricky task. Perhaps next time I'll try a spot of spinning or ramp up the bite size to avoid the tiny bites, but at least I gave it a go at long last. If anyone knows of good tactics or spots along the stretch (in addition to those already posted of course) then I'd be interested to read.

Rock1nRobin

Post by Rock1nRobin »

I tried near Hunton Bridge last year but had just small chub, the area has been predated a bit i've heard. Fished Cassiobury park with my dad first day of the season this year though(bit of a tradition for us) and started in the weir that's in that wonderful postcard.

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

I used to live in Hemel and fished Gaywoods back in the nineties. It used to be a trout lake, but was converted over to coarse fishing with some rainbows left in. Sweetcorn used to be the bait and the trout loved it! They fought like the clappers and the sport was good. On one occasion, in successive casts I had a 17.5lb common (still my biggest) and a 10lb grass carp (my one and only).I always fished on the 'pin and that bought some hairy moments I can tell you!!! It used to be on day ticket and I believe it still is. In places it is over 15 feet deep with an island in the middle. I don't know what the fishing is like nowadays, but it was certainly worth a fiver in those days. If you want to know how the GUC is fishing in the area, go and see Kevin at Old Town Angling in Hemel. The B&Q stretch in Hemel has some huge perch in it and the Box Moor stretch used to have decent tench and perch. Hope that helps you.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

the grand union is like most waters to get the best out of it you have to put in the time to get the hang of it but once you do there are some fine fish in there, like an earlier post i used to fish 3 lines but i used to favour the inside line and the far line with casters in the cooler weather,so just stick at it as it is well worth it
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Return to “Grand Union Canal”