Lack of roach in the GU?

This forum belong to the Grand Union Canal.
Corneybury
Dace

Lack of roach in the GU?

Post by Corneybury »

Fished the stretch just above Stoke Bruerne, once we came through the lengthy Blisworth tunnel, off the back of my narrowboat ' Scruffy Fox' in the pouring rain. I had read about lack of roach on the GU, due to Zander predation, but regular feeds of maggot in front of the bushes on the far side, laying on the bottom, brought me half a dozen of various sizes, but all of a pale washed out colour, probably because of the level of colouration of the water, due to narrowboat activity. The session was topped off with a couple of nice perch, the last being around a pound, but also with muted colours. With a couple of glasses of Shiraz to keep me warm a very satisfactory session, and only bad light stopped play...

Finished a nice evening with an excellent curry in the Spice of Bruerne by the canalside

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Lack of roach in the GU?

Post by RBTraditional »

That sounds quite idyllic Conneybury.......fishing from you narrow boat......love the name by the way......some nice roach and then a good old curry to finish off the day.....you lucky bugger!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

There used to be a nice pub there called the Bell, still there?
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

There were two pubs near the canal in Stoke Bruerne - The Navigation by the bridge and the Boat Inn by the canal. I don't know of a Bell, but that's not to say it doesn't or didn't exist. We had a pint in the Navigation, prior to our curry.
The beer was OK but the food looked like standard chain pub stuff, not very inspiring.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

We are going back more than 30 years here, memory playing tricks. The wife has just informed me that it was the boat, so obviously still there.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Grand Union Canal”