My local stretch of the GUC

This forum belong to the Grand Union Canal.
Julian
Salmon

My local stretch of the GUC

Post by Julian »

Less than fifty yards from my front door the Grand Union Canal passes by on its north to south route through Milton Keynes. Passing through Stony Statford at the northern most point of the city then through the Bletchley and Fenny Stratford area in the south of Milton Keynes before heading onwards south to Stoke Hammond then to Leighton Buzzard.
As a young lad I fished a free stretch between Fenny Statford and Stoke Hammond a number of times. A few of us used to cycle there and almost invariably caught lots of gudgeon - with the occasional small perch, roach, bream and on one occasion I recall catching a ruffe.
Although I have lived in my present home for 25 years with the canal passing by so close, strangely enough I have only ever once fished the canal just three minutes walk from my door ( and that was a short spinning session in heavy rain in autumn). OK - for 11 of those 25 years I had stopped fishing , but its still a long time with fishing on my doorstop to have not wetted a line in the canal.
In addition to the main canal also just at the nearest point of the canal to my home is the 'boat basin' - a new arm of the canal that is about two hundred yards long that was dug out at the beginning of the 1980's where they then built about a dozen homes with boat mooring and fishing rights for each home along the basin. Each summer a considerable number of large carp move out of the main canal into the boat basin section (probably partly to avoid the endless stream of barges on the canal in the summer). You can walk along the landscaped 'bank' one one side of the boat basin - lots of trees and bushes , and even a weeping willow tree (the other side is the back gardens of the residents with their individual patch of canal) and see many large carp at or near the surface in this basin stretch some summers - just a few feet from where you stand - but unfortunately you can't cast a line as its 'no fishing' on the public side - only the residents on the opposite bank can do that - but hardly any of them ever do. There are also a considerable number of good size bream in the basin section as well.
I recall a few years ago there was a piece in the fishing report section of the local paper where a twelve year old lad had caught a 25lb plus carp from his aunts back garden on this basin stretch.
I feel very tempted to one day in early summer, on a fine morning, walk down there at sunrise with a rod set up, net, forceps, unhooking mat, and a bag of dog biscuits or crust of bread - stalk a good carp - catch it , release it immediately and nip off home sharpish, before anyone notices. :Cool:
Would you?
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: My local stretch of the GUC

Post by Mark »

Yes I would Julian, go for it, you never know what may happen. :Thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Mark wrote:Yes I would Julian, go for it, you never know what may happen. :Thumb:
Oh I know I would probably catch one if I picked a day with the right weather/ conditions when the carp were clearly visible on the top - its just that there are a couple of local authority signs clearly stating no fishing in amongst other information on the same signs such as 'dangerous-deep water', so I could hardly claim I didn't know I could not fish there.
The only people who might see me are a very early morning jogger or dog walker as the area has one of the numerous Milton Keynes footpaths running along side a few yards back from it, and as the canal itself runs parallel to the basin just about fifteen yards apart it doesn't look odd carrying fishing tackle.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Julian wrote:you can't cast a line as its 'no fishing' on the public side - only the residents on the opposite bank can do that - but hardly any of them ever do.
Then I'd explain to one of them that I'm a 'traditional angler' ... and offer them a bottle of scotch for a couple of days lurking on their lawn. What have you got to lose?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

AshbyCut wrote:
Julian wrote:you can't cast a line as its 'no fishing' on the public side - only the residents on the opposite bank can do that - but hardly any of them ever do.
Then I'd explain to one of them that I'm a 'traditional angler' ... and offer them a bottle of scotch for a couple of days lurking on their lawn. What have you got to lose?
I had not thought of that - might be worth a try. :Sun:

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

I would fish it without hesitation and do it staking style to begin with and make a point of saying hello to any folk you may see in their gardens!. I would also hand deliver letters to all the houses with access to the other side of the canal introducing yourself and say you are tying to set up a private Traditional fishing section of residents and 'guests'. See if you get any interest from that and take it from there.
Who is responsible for the towpath and water? Canals are for the public, boats canoes dog walkers joggers etc. It really irritates me when clubs announce they are running fisheries on the canal and local authorities impose no fishing rules etc. (Rant over) :club:
If that failed I think I would be tempted to get a dingy and fish from that! :fishing2:
I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Trainset wrote:I would be tempted to get a dingy and fish from that! :fishing2:
Times have changed and I'm afraid that canals are no longer 'for the public,' if you mean anyone can use them free, Sir. There are no 'free' stretches.

I hate to be a killjoy, Sir, but a Short Term Visitor Licence is required for canals, even for a dingy ... or for 'for small, unpowered or trailed boats,' as detailed on the Canal and River Trust website ... and third party insurance must be in force before a licence can be granted.

The details are on this link :-

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/ ... or-licence

For the information of TFF members, I am about to start a thread with details of the current angling permit required for the canal system.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Trainset
This is a separate 'arm' of canal coming off the main GUC. It is about 300 yards long and has houses with private moorings and fishing rights that completely fill one side of the arm. The other side adjacent to the canal is a public area, but it makes it clear that you cannot fish in that arm.
Its interesting that you resurrected this post as i'd largely firgotten about this potential carp fishing spot - which is probably less than 200 yards from my front door :Confused:

Likewise a 7 acre lake that has been closed for 8 years while they have been building part of a huge housing development very close and around it has now had the builders fences removed and is apparently currently free to fish - and that contains a few huge carp - which I know are still iin there as I saw some really big ones there on a hot summer afternoon back in July when the builders were still working around it.

Mental note to self - must check both of these places out next spring :Cool:

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

Times have changed and I'm afraid that canals are no longer 'for the public,' if you mean anyone can use them free, Sir. There are no 'free' stretches.

Sad times indeed, of course if the bailiff doesn't walk the stretch and collect the ticket money, one is still free fishing with the intent to pay. I have come across a few sections o the canal that are reserved for club members only. However the vast majority of the grand union canal close to me is available on day ticket from the towpath.
Personally I don't think charging folk to fish the canal is right, provided you have a licence to fish I think you should be able to fish from towpaths on the canals. but then again we live in a strange world.
Does anybody know who is responsible for maintaining towpaths? Is it the Angling clubs that lease stretches of canals or the environment agency?

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

Mental note to self - must check both of these places out next spring :Cool:[/quote]

May even be worth finding out who owns the lake and if it is available on a lease!

Return to “Grand Union Canal”