Eel

Re: Chesterfield canal

Post by Mario »

sounds great

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Responsible boats travel at sensible speeds down the central channel, and don't disturb the fish on the shelves either side. My favourite spot is the far shelf.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

its bikes that can be a reall pain at times in some canals and im someone who loves cycling

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

That looks fantastic Hovis. I'm surprised I never fished that in my youth when I lived in Sheffield but I expect it was rather derelict back in the 60s. I do remember stories of my dad raking swims and chasing tench there although I believe all he had was roach and small chub.

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Bet you there are some nice carp in there :Thumb: . Regards . Woolly Bear :Hat:

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Woolly Bear wrote:Bet you there are some nice carp in there :Thumb: . Regards . Woolly Bear :Hat:
One or two woolly bear but they are mainly in the upper sections where there aren't as many locks. The chub seem to love the movement by the locks so they are always the main target
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

It wasn't so much the bikes I had trouble with on the canals but the dreaded DOG POO :Hide: W B :Chuckle:

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

it must be the canals in Birmingham that have turned into cycle paths which make it hard to enjoy the fishing

Flightliner

Post by Flightliner »

I fished the sopwith and chesterfield canal last week, flake beneath an inverted crowquill, I had a skimmer of a pound four roach, all good with a canal best of 1-2 and a single chub of a couple of pounds.
Nice canal, some boaters say that in places its the prettiest in all england , that a big statement but the piks at the start of this thread would be hard to better.

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

Ah the 'chessie' .. A very old winter stomping ground for me .. A favourite few swims when the weather was blowing a gale was to fish at drakeholes near Everton North notts. The left hand side of the tunnel was tree lined with very high banks able to fish the far bank with lumps of steak for chubs of varying size. Another stretch toward misterton was also productive.

Happy days
BSC
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Return to “Other Canals”