Canal Perch

This forum belong to the other Canals.
Stick
Dace

Canal Perch

Post by Stick »

With the longer evenings and nice weather I couldn't resist the opportunity to try for perch after work yesterday.

The session got off to a shambolic start as not only did I drive off and leave the garage key on the wheely bin but also left without lobworms. The latter I discovered after I had walked half a mile to my swim and the former when I went home to get said lobworms and my wife informed me of my negligence....

Oh well, the sun was shining and I was in too good a mood to care. Arriving at my chosen swim, a "dark" part of the canal near a reed bed on my bank and overhanging trees on the opposite, I tackled up. Rod was an Allcocks Viking and the reel an Aerialite with 3lb line fished straight through to a size 10 using a light float ledger set up. (I hardly ever get perch swallowing worms when fishing this way.)

From the first cast my bad luck evaporated and it was fairly continuous perch action. Feed 3 chopped lob and 3/4 lob on the hook, take first cast, second, third....! Not surprisingly things slowed down with time and single boat led to a 15 minute blank spell mid session.

The final score was 12 perch, the two biggest weighed 2lb 3oz and 2lb 1oz with 4 in the 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 bracket and the remainder big enough to require a landing net. Definitely a session to remember.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: Canal Perch

Post by Gary Bills »

Brilliant result! :Hat:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Nice one, well done.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

That ole canal, holds some stamp of sergeant :Thumb:
niceroach

Stick
Dace

Post by Stick »

Thank you.

I think it has to be my best bag of perch ever. Perch appear to be the most successful species in the canal. Best from this section for me are roach 1lb 2oz, bream 3lb 12oz and tench at 3lb 14oz and I don't think I have had a pike over 4lb. I haven't weighed the gudgeon or ruffe though.

Regardless of size fish it is my favourite fishery. Quiet, scenic and I can fish light tackle with little fear of an outsize intruder.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Great result Stick :Thumb:

( Any photos?? )
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

:Hat: Well done Stick
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Stick
Dace

Post by Stick »

A pal of mine took a couple of photos of one of the two pounders. I shall ask him to send me a copy and see if I can work out how to post them!

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

A lovely account well done :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Great write up, but what Canal stick?

Return to “Other Canals”