Large, old carp in the Paddington Basin

This forum belong to the other Canals.
King Of The Ghetto
Minnow

Large, old carp in the Paddington Basin

Post by King Of The Ghetto »

I work in Paddington, and whilst walking around the basin on my lunch break the other day - low and behold, a dozen very large carp, I'd say in the 15-30lb range, sunning themselves! Never seen a soul fishing there, but am tempted - although I don't know about nights :dancing:

Just thought I'd share. Incredible to see such beauties in such a dense, urban environment.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Large, old carp in the Paddington Basin

Post by Tengisgol »

I call this the 'camp pool phenomenon'. You walk for hours, or drive for miles, yet right under yer nose, or just there in the camp pool, are great fish.

I have discovered a similar oasis in the middle of our little city. In amongst the drunks are wonderful fish.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

There were and presume there still are some very big carp in the Grand Union. Certainly in the stretch from Yiewsley heading through West Drayton and onwards.
They are very wary of anything looking like bait
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

King Of The Ghetto
Minnow

Post by King Of The Ghetto »

MGs wrote:There were and presume there still are some very big carp in the Grand Union. Certainly in the stretch from Yiewsley heading through West Drayton and onwards.
They are very wary of anything looking like bait
they had about 10 office workers gawping at them...they looked very scaley and like old warriors...i'm tempted to have a go!

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Tengisgol wrote:I call this the 'camp pool phenomenon'. You walk for hours, or drive for miles, yet right under yer nose, or just there in the camp pool, are great fish.

I have discovered a similar oasis in the middle of our little city. In amongst the drunks are wonderful fish.
Welcome to chelmsford :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

If I were you I would be fishing it at every opportunity- If it is leased by a club, and a Bailiff approaches, you can either pay him the day ticket, join the club or leave. There is a thread regarding sections of the canal not run by clubs in Other Canals. The Canal and Rivers trust- may want you to purchase a permit if it is an un-leased, that's what the topic is about.
This link shows what the Canal and Rivers trust operates under the wandering waterways scheme-

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/1509.pdf

Unless its a designated site of special interest I don't see what harm it can do! I would be fishing in my lunch break if I were you!
I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

I have moored my narrowboat up in the far end of Paddington Basin, and very surreal it is, amongst the chrome and glass office blocks and by the hospital. You can cast a line out there, and be stared at by office workers hurrying to work with the ubiquitous cup of takeaway coffee in their hands. Didn't catch anything, and the wind whips around the tall buildings, which makes line drag a problem. Didn't see any giant carp though, but I could imagine them holing up in this quiet backwater

Return to “Other Canals”