Canal fishing in Birmingham City centre

This forum belong to the other Canals.
Mario
Eel

Canal fishing in Birmingham City centre

Post by Mario »

i noticed that full two page spread on it in angling times last week I had a go last week just outside Birmingham and we cought a fare few fish including some nice skimmers and very nice roach highbred it seems that the fishing is very good on one match on soho loop a match was won recently with 56 pound of bream

Dave Burr
    Honorary Vice President

Re: Canal fishing in Birmingham City centre

Post by Dave Burr »

I've walked past some of the canals on the outer edge of Birmingham and amongst the trollies, bikes, bags full of drowned cats, bodies in bags, condoms and other assorted litter, there were a lot of fish. Mind you, pretty it ain't and you are likely to meet many interesting characters during your session.

TFF fish-in anybody? :Sarcasm:

Mario
    Eel

Post by Mario »

I think that's a bit unfair when you last in our great second City I think canals around brim are very nice they even have a lot tourist boats and the canal area around the city is very nice to with lots of restaurants and nice bars which the American president Clinton once visited and had a pint sorry if I take exeption to your crass remark

Northern Eel
    Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

The Brummie lynch mob is out for you Dave!!!

:Scared:

:Hahaha:
    "Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Dave Burr
    Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I was referring to Brierley Hill which is the only canal I've seen fish in but admit that those around the centre of town are okay. I know Birmingham pretty well and agree that the middle has had a major overhaul and has plenty going on - I hate the new library though. But it is still Birmingham and the rest of the city is uninspiring.

I doubt that Clinton just popped out for a beer either. When he appeared at the Hay Literary Festival his team of cronies were the most mercenary bunch you could imagine. Here's two examples,

A Welsh whisky maker received a call stating that Mr Clinton would like to come and sample his wares. He was told that he would pose for a photograph with him whilst he was there and that it would only cost him £5000 for the privilege.

A Hotel in Hereford received a call stating that Mr Clinton needed a floor of the hotel for him and his entourage for several days. Likewise photo's would be posed for and it would only cost (if memory serves), £15 or £20000.

What a lovely chap.

Mario
    Eel

Post by Mario »

I've never been to the place in the Black Country mentioned but most of the canals in the south side of city are in my view are a delight to walk or cycle and fish and brings the country to the city I must admit I don't fish the canal very often but I always catch plenty of fish as for saying the city isn't up to much we'll all I can say I can't agree

Dave Burr
    Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

No offence meant Mario, I'm not a fan of many cities and Birmingham has never inspired me but I'd rather go there than London any day.

Gord
    Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

Dave Burr wrote:No offence meant Mario, I'm not a fan of many cities and Birmingham has never inspired me but I'd rather go there than London any day.
    i agree with you dave and i was born in london i wont even go for a visit now, and i fished some parts of canal that fit your description but the fish in them were superb
    when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Corneybury
    Dace

Post by Corneybury »

I fished in Gas St. Basin in the height of the summer last year, off the back of my narrow boat, the Scruffy Fox, and although I caught a couple of small roach, I spent most of the time hauling the line out to avoid passing boats and also having to answer "have you caught anything mate?" - type questions from the hundreds of passers by.

Mario
    Eel

Post by Mario »

i think its better in the winter and if you fish away from city centre it can be quite peaceful

Return to “Other Canals”