Trent and Mersey Canal

This forum belong to the other Canals.
WhiteWolf
Minnow

Re: Trent and Mersey Canal

Post by WhiteWolf »

Somewhere I have a book by Colin Willock in which I believe he talked about fly fishing for coarse fish. I don't see why it wouldn't work for surface feeders?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

There are a number of books on fly fishing for coarse fish, such as ""Fly Fishing for Coarse Fish - Theory and Technique." ("How to Catch
Them Series.") W. J. Howes."

... and tackle such as this was available in days of yore ... my Martin James box of flies for Roach and Dace :-

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

WhiteWolf
Minnow

Post by WhiteWolf »

I just found it, and indeed there is one section in which he describes "FLY-FISHING FOR COARSE FISH". It's an old book though so I don't know if one can still obtain a copy. Coarse Fishing by Colin Willock.

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

AshbyCut wrote:There are a number of books on fly fishing for coarse fish, such as ""Fly Fishing for Coarse Fish - Theory and Technique." ("How to Catch

... and tackle such as this was available in days of yore ... my Martin James box of flies for Roach and Dace :-

:Hat: Lovely tin.
In the twenty first century they will look back to the days of yore for inspiration.
http://flyforcoarse.com/

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends,when I retired last August I was presented with a Greys 7-6 fly rod which I will be using for small trout and course fish in season in the small rivers locally .I had caught roach a few years ago on a small flys and I would like to get a copy of fly fishing for course fish ,any offers.Reelmaker

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Went out for my first trip on my new narrowboat, "Happy Days" with a view to exploring the Llangollen Canal as far as the Pontcysyllte viaduct. Got a bit of fishing in off the back of the boat - small roach, perch and gudgeon, but a flooded engine compartment necessitated a call out and return to the boatyard at Middlewich and a consequent change of plan.

Decided to go north on the T&M to Anderton Boat lift and moored up opposite a reed bed just upstream from the lift as we waited our turn to go down. The place screamed fish so I got stuck in with a waggler and maggot bait in the back eddy near the reeds. A procession of small roach and perch was the result, with me having to lift out every time a boat came past. With an hour to go before our lift time was due, I thought I'd change tactics and try a bit of sweetcorn in the main channel. Two fat ~ 3/4 lb roach were the immediate result, followed by a 2lb bream in mint condition. OK, not the biggest of fish, but I was very pleased to see the results of the change, and would have liked to have spent more time fishing there, but our slot to go down was due. Taking the boat down the lift in what was effectively, a giant metal bath, was fantastic and took us out onto the River Weaver, which also looked great for fishing. However, unlike the canal it is over 12' deep where we moored up, and I didn't get any luck there. Maybe next time...

The Retro Angler
Minnow

Post by The Retro Angler »

Just found this thread about the T&M canal. I live in Derby and fish the canal at Willington, Stenson Bubble, Swakestone and Shardlow regularly. It's still good for roach, perch, skimmers and rudd and fishes well in winter. It's on the Pride of Derby Ticket and you can fish from Shardlow up to Burton except for a few miles at Weston-on-Trent.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I am searching for someone on the T&M that isn't friendly! boaters,dog walkers ,cyclists etc etc. Perhaps it applies to all canals, but it is a really nice place to be.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

AshbyCut wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:36 am There are a number of books on fly fishing for coarse fish, such as ""Fly Fishing for Coarse Fish - Theory and Technique." ("How to Catch

Fly fishing for coarse fish by Dominic Garnett- an author much younger than most of us in this forum- but very much in step with us. He has written a very good canal fishing book as well

JasonR
Bleak

Post by JasonR »

Corneybury wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:54 pm First session of new season, fished off the back of my narrowboat, Scruffy Fox, on the T&M, just above Shardlow. Lots of small perch, roach and to my delight a nice little rudd, the first I have caught in a longtime. A later session further up the canal was rewarded with some small (1/2lb bream) - very welcome, but very slimy :fishing1:

Eventually out of maggots, so switched to cheese, which we had on the boat, but no luck. Of course the best spot of all, was at Tixall Wide on the Staffs and Worcs canal. This is where the canal widens out into a 'broad' (built so the local aristocracy could have a nice view!), but it screams tench with lillypads and little bays all around. Alas, fishing tackle packed away by then, and family wanted to move boat on, so could only sit and wonder...

Has anyone had any experience on this inviting bit of water?

Got to say, judging by the number of bites and appearance of the canal, both the T&M and the Staffs and Worcs are in very good fishing condition.
I am right near the Trent and Mersey and never really fished it for years, so nice to hear it is fishing well, i might give it a try then.

Return to “Other Canals”