Grantham Canal?

This forum belong to the other Canals.
RobGoodwin
Minnow

Grantham Canal?

Post by RobGoodwin »

Does anyone still fish the Grantham canal? I used to fish the stretch near Cotgrave (10 -12 years ago)and had some nice tench and rudd, a few common carp, and a couple of quite large perch. It has always been very weedy and shallow, but I walked some of the stretches last year and it was very short of water indeed and exceptionally weedy. I saw very few fish - small jack pike and a few tiddlers. I think Notts Angling Association has given up on the Cotgrave Road stretch and I don't think the EA dredge it any more. A great shame because because it was a nice little venue and the tench, when they were in your swim, gave their presence away by knocking the far bank reeds and then fizzing away. Loved catching them on my Old Sealy Octofloat and a centrepin. Cheap fishing too; all you needed was bread or sweetcorn. Happy days...

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Re: Grantham Canal?

Post by TrentFisher »

Blimey thats taken me back......

Two fishing buddies and myself fished the Lady Bay stretch back in the 70's.As you say smashing for Tench.

Further a field the stretches in the Vale of Belvoir look very good.Day tickets

http://www.granthamcanal.org/angling/

All the best
Nige.

RobGoodwin
Minnow

Re: Grantham Canal?

Post by RobGoodwin »

Thanks for the reply Nige. Do you know if the Lady Bay stretch has retained a reasonable amount of water and is still worth fishing? If so, I will have to have a gander when Boris et al. lets us out to play again. Stay safe all.
Rob

Return to “Other Canals”