Mapperley Reservoir home of the one time British record carp finally produces its first 30lb carp

This forum belongs to Mapperley Reservoir.
Reedling
Catfish

Re: Mapperley Reservoir home of the one time British record carp finally produces its first 30lb carp

Post by Reedling »

I bet he was chuffed to bits when he realised the record he has set. Also nice to see the old Pudding basin has made an appearance again at the Barbers.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Mapperley Reservoir home of the one time British record carp finally produces its first 30lb carp

Post by Dave Burr »

Well done Mr Bongo, a great fish from an historic venue. But does it count if you just wade in and pick them out of the weeds?

John Milford
Perch

Post by John Milford »

I fished one overnight session on Mapperley last summer.

The reservoir was extremely kind, gracing me with a personal best carp in the shape of this immaculate 23-04 common - before nightfall.

Not a particularly long fish, but as stout as a beer keg and with a very impressive set of paddles!

Landed on a 1¾ lb t.c. rod, belying the seemingly modern insistence that powerful rods are essential!

Screenshot_20230411-220342_Photos~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Well done John, that's a very fine fish. As it happens I'm reading (yet again) "The Carp Catchers Club", and Mapperley features a lot in the rotary letters, being regarded as an extremely difficult place to catch a carp of any size!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Santiago wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:56 pm Both Bongo and Herbert are great names! I wonder how recent the trend of naming carp is? I suppose it's only sensible to name the big ones that become sought after, otherwise the carpers wouldn't be able to say which particular fish they were trying to catch!
1952 with Clarissa nee Ravioli.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Catfish.017 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:03 am
Santiago wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:56 pm Both Bongo and Herbert are great names! I wonder how recent the trend of naming carp is? I suppose it's only sensible to name the big ones that become sought after, otherwise the carpers wouldn't be able to say which particular fish they were trying to catch!
1952 with Clarissa nee Ravioli.
I don't know of names of any carp pre Walker naming Ravioli but I wouldn't put a wager on him starting the craze. Essentially because I've read several traditional angling books that pre-date Walker's capture by decades and more that reference the naming of big trout. "The Major ".and " The General " etc. , being very popular names ! Walker may well have pinched the idea from his trouting freternity mates.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Mapperley Reservoir”