Loveable Rogue

This forum belongs to Bill Quinlan.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Loveable Rogue

Post by Snape »

Ron Clay wrote:What many remember most about Bill Quinlan was his habit of brewing tea from the water of the lake or river he happened to be fishing at the time.

Frank Guttfield described his tea as extremely strong, sweet, thick and gooey. I once spoke to an employee of Thames Water (I was selling them filters at the time for the removal of cryptosporidium) and mentioned that I often brewed my tea from local gravel pit water. He mentioned that as long as you boiled it for at least 5 minutes, the water was fit to drink.
I recall reading that the habit of brewing Redmire tea from the pool water would result, in some years, in the end result being more like shrimp soup due to the huge amounts of daphnia in the water.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Water boiled for at least 5 minutes doesn't make very good tea, though!

Ron Clay

Post by Ron Clay »

Very true, the dissolved oxygen is boiled off.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Is it good for you teeth though, I read that Bill used to keep his teeth in a mug full of water. :chuckle:

Wasn't it Len Arbury or Rod Hutchinson that kicked the mug over once and Bill's teeth ended up in Redmire or something on those lines.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Ron Clay wrote:Very true, the dissolved oxygen is boiled off.
The loss of dissolved oxygen affects the taste which is why tea should always be made with, as the Victorians said, freshly drawn water. :)
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I thought all the dissolved gases were knocked out by the time the water was anywhere near boiling?
Then again, I have the palate of a rather peckish goat.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Vole wrote:I thought all the dissolved gases were knocked out by the time the water was anywhere near boiling?
Then again, I have the palate of a rather peckish goat.
No. The solubility of oxygen decreases considerably with temperature but it takes a while for it to leave the solution so it needs to be at an elevated temperature for some time. It is therefore a compromise between needing 100 degrees water temp to rupture the cells to release the flavours etc properly and losing too much oxygen. Therefore ideally it should be made with water brought to the boil from cold and made at the moment the water reaches boiling. The water should not be re-boiled.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Right; thanks, Snape!
I shall empty and re-fill the kettle at home more thoroughly.
Snag: I need to boil off the chlorine or whatever they put in it here - 3 Valleys' water just doesn't taste as nice as Thames'... the only downside of the flight from Cricklewood.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Funnily enough I never "fill up" the kettle, I just fill with what I need, something my grandmother used to do it and I`ve followed on. I`ve fished with the man who used and wrote about racing beans and I concur they are cheap....

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Vole wrote:Right; thanks, Snape!
I shall empty and re-fill the kettle at home more thoroughly.
Snag: I need to boil off the chlorine or whatever they put in it here - 3 Valleys' water just doesn't taste as nice as Thames'... the only downside of the flight from Cricklewood.
Filter the water before boiling.
Anyway back to Bill Quinlan....

Return to “Bill Quinlan”