Water Colours by Maurice J Pledger - Book Review

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Water Colours by Maurice J Pledger - Book Review

Post by Mark »

Water Colours by Maurice J Pledger

Image Image

After reading the acknowledgements and the foreword by Bob Roberts the first thing I did was to flick through the book looking at the wonderful pictures and rest assured there are plenty of wonderful pictures in this book to marvel over, both in colour and black and white. There are too many to choose from but my personal favourites being the crucians, the rudd, the perch, the tench and the old family Morris Minor. Maurice (or Mole as he is known) is a talented author and artist, some of you will know that this is not his first book.

After a very poignant first part in the opening chapter of summer holidays spent as a child in Bologna with his family Maurice then goes on to tell how at 10 years old a book called 'Birds Of Town and Village' by Basil Ede inspired him that much that he had to write to the author and also send him some of his own drawings, the letter he received back from Basil is printed in the book. Basil also comments on the rear of this book stating that Maurice is amongst the best wild life artists in the world today.

The book covers many different emotions from sadness to laughter and everything else in between. His discusses his friendships, love of the countryside and many other subjects right the way through to his last goodbye to his father and uncle. Like it says in the subtitle of the book it is about the ramblings of an artist-angler and much more in my opinion. I don't think you will be disappointed with this book and can highly recommend it for your bookshelf and collection.

The book comes in three formats:

The Standard Edition - A high quality paperback with flaps.
http://www.anglebooks.com/product.php/3 ... st-angler-

The Collectors Edition - A beautiful cloth bound hardback in dust-wrapper limited to only 250 signed and numbered copies.
http://www.anglebooks.com/product.php/3 ... st-angler-

The Deluxe Edition - Fully bound in the finest leather and presented in a matching cloth-bound slipcase. Limited to only 35 signed and numbered copies. Each copy comes with an original sketch of a float by Maurice himself.
http://www.anglebooks.com/product.php/4 ... st-angler-

Taken from the Coch-y-Bonddu website.
Water Colours is the second book in Maurice ‘Mole’ Pledger’s continuing fishing autobiography. I think it is even more attractive than While My Float’s Still Cocked. Chock-full of witty and whimsical memories and madcap escapades in pursuit of specimen perch, pike, carp and chub, it is beautifully illustrated with all-new paintings and drawings.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mario
Eel

Re: Water Colours by Maurice J Pledger - Book Reivew

Post by Mario »

highly recommend this book its a great book well worth getting and if you haven't seen the fist book that great too

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

I enjoyed his first book and this one will be on my Christmas list

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

for what its worth im voting this book my favourite book of 2013 it cheered me up and gave me some good reading when I was ill a few months back and I get it out of the book case to admire the deluxe edition on a regular basis I think ill be doing this long in to the future id get the hardback or if your feeling flush the leather before there gone as it is top book

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Received my copy today and once I started it I didn't want to put it down. Fabulous illustrations and a great read.

Mole Power indeed! :Sun:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

I wish Maurice would do some limited edition prints of some of his paintings id like to collect them and put one on my wall

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Mazza wrote:I wish Maurice would do some limited edition prints of some of his paintings id like to collect them and put one on my wall
I seem to remember prints of the pics being available at the book launch. Coch-y-bonddu may know more.

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

I will be adding the book to my Xmas list

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

Pedro wrote:I will be adding the book to my Xmas list
if I was you pedro id get the hardback as its a very nice book and well worth what there asking for it and there is only 250 copies so I think they will be quite collectable in the future

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

DaceAce wrote:
Mazza wrote:I wish Maurice would do some limited edition prints of some of his paintings id like to collect them and put one on my wall
I seem to remember prints of the pics being available at the book launch. Coch-y-bonddu may know more.
I was hoping for something like poster size not the small post card type prints that come with the book

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”