FOSTERS OF ASHBOURNE FLY ROD

The Fosters of Ashbourne Forum.
John Harding
Rudd

FOSTERS OF ASHBOURNE FLY ROD

Post by John Harding »

Good evening all,

I recently received a Fosters of Ashbourne three piece trout fly rod as part of a job lot of items and I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any information about it. It is a three section rod, measuring as near as I can get 10ft 6" with an extra short tip section which measures 27.5 inches. I assume the rod is whole cane but it is very difficult to be sure as it is a very dark colour, probably through age. The complete length of the rod, including the shorter tip section, is wrapped in what I assume to be copper wire. On the end cap there is a serial number which is 60938, the reel seat is marked :- Hold All Ftg and Fosters Regd.

The rod :-

I am hoping someone may be able to give me an idea of the age of the rod. Also, I know that I will never use the rod but as it is in fairly good condition I thought it would be nice to try and clean it up and bring it back to a nice condition, but how would you suggest the best way to tackle this. I think that the copper wire wrap which creates a diamond pattern all along the rod would make it very difficult, perhaps a light rub over with a touch of wax on the cloth ?

Hope it is of interest and I look forward to any comments.

Regards,
John

Silfield
Brown Trout

Re: FOSTERS OF ASHBOURNE FLY ROD

Post by Silfield »

I hope you get some answers to the above as I have one of these as well, albeit without a second tip section.
I did manage to find the following if it is of any use:
'Foster’s of Ashbourne, "Dovedale "
If you needed any more evidence of the reluctance to move forward in UK rod building, you need look no further than this rod that was actually being marketed in the 1920’s. UK rod makers seem to have carried an inherent mistrust of split cane from the outset. Both Foster’s and Hardy’s insisted on adding steel cores to their cane rods and Foster’s went one better in their 1892 patent for “diamond wrap” in which the entire rod is encased in a matrix of tightly wound wire. George Holden had advocated something similar in silk in his “Idyl of the Split Bamboo” of 1920, but Foster’s technique seems bizarre to us.'
Taken from the "Whiteadders Virtual Fly Fishing Museum"
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I can't imagine how a full refurbishment could be accomplished with such intricate weaving on the rod. I would wipe it down with either white spirit or WD40 to clean it. From the photos it looks like greenheart.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Our member Stephen Woolley should know...
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Use a tooth brush soaked in meths.....just don't swallow :tea:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

Regards,
John

Return to “Fosters of Ashbourne Cane Rods”