Foster Bros 'Brook' Rod

The Fosters of Ashbourne Forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Foster Bros 'Brook' Rod

Post by AshbyCut »

Arriving (eventually) as a freebie with a Marco Avon is a positively 'twee' 'Foster Bros Makers Ashbourne' brook rod ... possible the smallest I have ever seen.

In a VERY sorry state, it's 3 pieces ... the butt section (with a lovely turned wood butt button) is a mere 16 1/2" ... the middle section 23 1/2 " ... and the tip section 26 1/2 ". Sounds daft, I know ... but it looks original.

It would be a really major project ... and undoubtedly would cost more than it would end up being worth ... but it would look great with my Intrepid 3 1/2" fly reel !!!!!

I doubt anyone has a picture of a real one ... but I live in hope.

Pictures will follow tomorrow ... in daylight.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Scott
Tench

Re: Foster Bros 'Brook' Rod

Post by Scott »

Sounds nice AC, looking forward to seeing some pics, sounds like my kind of rod..

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

ok ... I'm impatient !!! More to come later. ps ... that button measures 1.023" at it's widest, and complete the rod must have been 5ft 6in approx.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Why not contact Stephen Wooley through eBay and see if he can shed any light on it?

He'll likely remember such a light rod.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thanks, Nobby ... I was going to do just that after I'd taken more pictures tomorrow.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Actually, didn't he join this forum....or amI having another senior moment?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby wrote:Actually, didn't he join this forum....or amI having another senior moment?
Yes (in July) ... and No, you are not.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

You could say it needs a bit of TLC ......

StephenWoolley
Stickleback

Post by StephenWoolley »

thanks for pics, seems by the fittings to date around the 1930s, the tapered butt cap will be stamped with makers name, these ferrules the collar on the male ferrule, would fit over the female ferrule, i could make an original set of ferrules fo this, this rod could have been a special travellers rod made for a customer, or part of the dual rod that fosters made, with two handles, thanks stephen,

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

you have a pm sir

Return to “Fosters of Ashbourne Cane Rods”