Stephen Woolley (ex Fosters)

The Fosters of Ashbourne Forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Stephen Woolley (ex Fosters)

Post by Nobby »

I think he is a member on here..though I don't recall a post in a long, long time.....too busy making your rod, I expect!

edit. Yes he is...only 5 posts though and not visited since May.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Thanks! Wxs121! Many on here are already familiar with Mr. Woolley's excellent work! But it never hurts to hear another endorsement! Hope to hear more from you about your adventures with your new cane rod! Too few fly fishermen on here you see!

ATB
Jim

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Wxs121 wrote:Hi,

He is not a man of the internet, I have learn that as I have become good friends with him!

I fly fish at Dovedale and up to Milldale mainly (although not at present as I am living in Hong Kong for a bit), and other places in derbyshire! I live near Milldale you see!

I have had some excellent days fishing down there, and there is nothing I would rather fish with than cane!

My other cane rod is made by a Monk of Chester, steve estimates it to be 80 years old appx and it is a 2 piece 8ft, a delight to fish with! Nothing rivals the soft action of cane, I did buy a carbon rod but within a week of buying it id bought cane, and then its safe to say the carbon rod has had its day!

Yes, he's a very helpful chap, Mr.Wooley. I approached him about the provenance of a Fosters Carp rod that I found in France miraculously in mint condition...quite possibly unused. Although he worked for Fosters he always dealt with fly rods and couldn't help me on that occasion. If anyone out there knows anything about the Fosters "Carpus Excelere" please post !!!

I think Steve's father wrote a definitive opus on Derbyshire flies, too.

Troutbeck
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Return to “Fosters of Ashbourne Cane Rods”