Partridge rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Partridge rod

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Mike is referring to me Merlot, I met up with Mike at The Perchfishers launch but unfortunately he didn't have time to show me all he brought along.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Ahhhhh.. What part of the pub where you crushed into, I got in early a had a seat...

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I turned up an hour and half late, met Mike outside and just had a brief walk through before heading off. Shame as I didn't get to meet all the contributors whilst they were gathered. They were all eating their dinners when I got there!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Chris Ball
Bleak

Post by Chris Ball »

Merlot wrote:I`ve got a Partridge of Redditch "Clarissa Four/Forty Four" 10ft 2pc hand built split cane carp rod. A limited edition, only 44 made in 1988 to celebrate Richard Walker's British record carp Clarissa. A light straw finish, full red agate guide, whipped in gold, tipped black, bronze ferrule with wooden stopper. 24in cork trumpet handle, sliding alloy reel fittings. Thats also a bit of a carp rod. I think Chris Ball has number one.....
In early 1988 the late Alan Bramley MD of Partridge of Redditch approached me (through the Carp Society) about the possibility of producing a Richard Walker MkIV ‘Clarissa’ replica rod. This was instigated by the announcement that the Carp Society were to celebrate 50 years of carp fishing in honour of the memory of Richard Walker with a special conference on 4th June of that year - forum member Mike Wilson was one of the special guests that day.

I went to the Partridge factory in Redditch and took the rod with me. During that visit Colin Woods, Partridge’s master spilt cane rod builder, ran a micrometer over the rod (as has Edward Barder, Shaun Lindsey and Steve Weaver over the years.) They kept the rod for a week or two. On the same day I attended a Partridge sales meeting where the ‘Clarissa - Forty Four’ rod was discussed. It was felt by the sales team that they could maybe sell 25 of the special Partridge of Redditch commemorative rods.

When I went back to fetch the rod Alan told me that after the sales team had gone on their rounds it was felt that they should, because of the interest shown, produce more. Alan said, “I think we will make 44”, and he told me of a name change to the ‘Clarissa - Four/Forty Four’, which made perfect sense. The price was set at £250.00+VAT

At the first meeting Alan Bramley wanted to discuss some kind of payment for the loan of the rod etc. I told him that wasn’t necessary and straightaway he offered me a rod from (the then) 25 that were scheduled to be manufactured. “Could I have No 1,” I enquired? “Of course”, came the reply.

At the second meeting after Alan informed me of the increase in the production number I tentatively asked, “Any chance of changing the number from 1 to number 44?” “Ah... Chris, Partridge would retain that number.” Fair enough, but it was worth a try.

When the rods were completed including the smart custom-made case complete with the engraved name plaque I received my one through the post. Eagerly opening the case and picking up the rod I knew something was amiss. The ‘false butt’ 24ins of dowel hidden under the corks to provide the ‘oomph’ when playing fish and casting had been (mistakenly) changed to aluminium tube which was far too heavy and made the rod feel unbalanced. I believe all the rods were made the same, which in a way was a shame.

Wind the clock forward nearly twenty years and a strange twist of fate led me to the number ‘44’ rod.

Alan Bramley died around the millennium, previous to this Partridge had been bought by O. Mustad & Son in 1996 and a Mustad man, Norwegian Ole Bjerke became managing director and the antiquated world of Partridge hook manufacture reliant on a reasonable sized workforce was gradually wound down and eventually the plant was closed - a traditional English hook making company that started life in 1927 was gone.

I had met Ole Bjerke a number of times after he took over the running of the company (though it soon became clear that Mustad had put him in place to wind up the manufacturing of hooks in UK.) Ole was a nice man and I liked him a lot. Which is why I got a call from him one day in 2007. He told me that the Partridge building had been sold (it had been closed for sometime) and when he went for a final clear up in the offices he had found tucked away a rod bag with a split cane rod inside - it was a Clarissa - Four/Forty Four. He knew of the rod and my involvement and asked if I knew how it could be put to good use. I mentioned one of the premier angling charities Stoney & Friends - Macmillan Nurses cancer charity. He said he would like to donate the rod to maybe a raffle or auction with the money going to Stoney & Friends. There was a problem though, he was flying out of the UK the next day and would only be in England from time to time after this. Thinking quickly I suggested that the rod could be auctioned shortly at the big Carpin’On show (I’m a founder member of the company that stages this yearly event at Five Lake Resort in Essex every March) and that I could come and fetch the rod from Birmingham if he could leave it somewhere, or with someone. His girlfriend lived in Birmingham, so she could house the rod until I came for it.

Well all that happened - the following week I visited this ladies house and there in the kitchen was the rod bag. I quickly undid it, sure enough it was Alan Bramley’s ‘Clarissa - Four/Forty Four number 44!

We advertised the fact that this unique rod would be auctioned at the show by yours truly - if I were an unscrupulous individual I could have easily switched the rods and no one would have been the wiser - but I’m not, anyway it had Alan’s name on it!

The week before the show I had a call from a likely bidder who wanted chapter and verse on the rod - though he could not attend the show might he bid by phone? That would be no problem. On the day it was be auctioned there were several keen people that showed an interest. Moments before I went on stage I rang the telephone bidder and told him to stand by, I would use my mobile on stage enabling him to bid. I started the bidding at £400 and straightway a punter from the audience raised his hand. The telephone bidder said £450, another different bidder in the crowd bid £500. This went on until £900 was reached from the crowd. The telephone bidder called £1000. A new bidder from the crowd shouted £1100, the telephone bidder fell silent. “Sold” I said triumphantly, “To the gentlemen over there for £1100” as a resounding applause rang out.

Moments later the beaming face of Phil Fry (owner of Angling Technics - the bait boat people) came over to declare himself the new proud owner of Partridge rod.

Later Phil sent me a picture of how he had the rod beautifully mounted in a giant glass fronted case that was on display in the factory. In the case was a large print of both rods together that I’d sent to Phil.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Cheers for sharing that story Chris. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Agreed, many thanks, what a lovely tale.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

What a great story, thanks for sharing that.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Only just spotted Chris' tale. A great read, thank-you.

Does an aluminium tube, in the manner of a Chapmans 500, really make that much difference to the feel?....I wouldn't have thought the weights of dowel or tube to be that much different to one another.

Just shows how important the detail can be.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Cheers for sharing that story Chris,its nice to have the history behind the rod. I remember discussing the rod with you, at I think Romsey or it could have been Redditch. The only thing was the odd detail was starting to become a little vague.... my memory is starting to go!

BobH

Post by BobH »

Great Story Chris.

Real history.

Bob

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”