Ernest Stamford Sheffield

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Tony1964

Ernest Stamford Sheffield

Post by Tony1964 »

Does anyone know anything about these rods?

Kenkroy

Re: Ernest Stamford Sheffield

Post by Kenkroy »

Tony,
I can recall visiting The shop when I was a teenager I think in Attercllife Road ?not far from Bennett's in Sheffield during the early seventies.I remember it being a basic place but full of wonderful bespoke glass fibre rods and I purchased, with a small loan and my 'paper' money a Ernest Stamford 13 ft match rod for £12.50 which I was told was from a fibertube blank.I still have that rod today awaiting restoration after years of abuse.
I also saved up and bought a 10 1/2 foot swing tip rod with a seperate top section with a built in donkey top.
They were very good at tip rods and they became very popular in the Yorkshire match scene but fell away as the far eastern boys came on board.
I will post a pic of the rod when I get a minute,caught lots of fish on that rod and won many a junior match when my posh mates were using Hardy Matchmakers or Bruce and Walker CTMs.
Replaced it with an ABU mark5 (still have one ) and then the Mark 6 which I didnt really rate then carbon came, the rest history.
Hope that helps
ken

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Thanks Ken,

I am thinking of buying one but had never heard of them. It's an 8'6" swing tip rod. I will buy with confidence now. :thumb:

Kenkroy

Post by Kenkroy »

The one I had had brass ferrules a solid glass butt section with hollow Glass tops and I think they were the earlier versions.Later again off fibatube blanks they produced all glass versions.
During the Seventies I was a maggot lad in a York shop and we sold lots of these rods,they were certainly in Yorkshire pioneers in Swing tip and feeder/quiver rods probably due to the large amount of big matches on the fenland Bream venues.
I did see one the other day and was getting that must have feeling until I did a stock take and wondered why the hell have I got all this tackle!!
Ken

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

Although its a shop I never visited, as a young sprog in the 70's I would often pester my mother to taken me in when we travel to sheffield on the 69 bus from Rotherham..

now its gone FOREVER

BSC
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Kenkroy

Post by Kenkroy »

Well now I remember what I did with that rod.Chopped the middle section and stuck it up a ABU mark five to make a feeder rod,which was what you did in the eighties.
Sadly only the butt and top so sorry Tony no picture to show.
Ken

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”