Tench Rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: Tench Rod

Post by Gary Bills »

The era of the Alpha range, if my memory serves be right, was circa 1978 - 1981....

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Weyfarer wrote:
Caractacus Potts wrote:I wouldn't say they glow exactly, but they are almost translucent. I seem to remember from the Shakespeare catalogues of the time that there were also Alpha carp rods and Alpha salmon spinning rods as well.

I cannot find any Alpha rods in my old Shakespere catalogues but here's a couple of pics (Allcocks of course) from the 1989 issue.

This rod is priced a shade less than £17 and the colour is "Cherry"

Don't think that's the same rod though. Alpha was one of Shakespeare's stock names denoting the mid price point; the others were Sigma (top end) and Omni (cheap). Thus over the years they made lots of Alpha rods - I had an early carbon one in blue.

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

Do concentrate GOS, I wrote, ".....I cannot find any Alpha rods in my old Shakespere catalogues...." therefore it is reasonable to assume the posted picture was not and neither was it intended to be an Alpha.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Weyfarer wrote:Do concentrate GOS, I wrote, ".....I cannot find any Alpha rods in my old Shakespere catalogues...." therefore it is reasonable to assume the posted picture was not and neither was it intended to be an Alpha.
So the point of posting it was???

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

Cos I thought pics of the old factory might be interesting to folks, to put a name to the colour of orange rods and because I had nothing better to do.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I liked 'em.

Interesting to see the working man in a shirt with rolled sleeves and a waistcoat, with some wearing an apron. Ties of course and the odd hat.

What a smart lot we once were.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Fascinating thread. My first ever Tench was caught in 1982 in a gravel pit in the suburbs of West London called" Morris's Pit"...On the slider float , using my one and only rod at that time , the Shakespear Strike 12ft float rod.

A general purpose rod that my Dad bought me and Ive still got it.

I think that for the kind of Tench fishing that I enjoy...Float fishing then my Avocet is fine...Im suprised that no one much said it before. But thats the interesting thing about this forum. More than one way to skin a cat or in this case catch a Tench.

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Post by Caractacus Potts »

John, my first ever 'adults' rod (as opposed to the 6 foot boys rods I had) was the Shakespeare Strike. Actually, about three of us lads had them. A black rod as I remember, I had mine in 1979.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

John, any Nottingham pattern rod will be just fine - Avon Perfection, Kennet Perfection, Avocet (than which it doesn't get better), Chapman 500, Wizard, practically anything with a whole cane butt, split cane middle and tip.
Quite a lot of all-built-cane rods will be fine, too - a MkIV Avon (a bit short, though), Rodrill, or Adonis for the "usual suspects"; Black Seal or Mk IV for beasts.
The only time it gets a bit edgy is when you can only run to a split cane tip, whole cane middle and butt "bottom" rod. They vary wildly in quality, and it is vital to make sure that the middle, in particular, can "carry the curve" of the tip when under pressure. Some firms could select a decent bit of Tonkin; others just reached for what would fit the ferrule. I have what I think is a Milbro that falls into the former camp, and a Tonbridge Wells job whose butt section turns into a hinge with a pastie on...
Spanish reed should be left in the holdall, as should whatever Hardy Lightweights were made from (grumble, grumble, knows whereof it speaks...). A "modern" tench, bulked up to six pounds on boilies and signal crayfish, would soon convert it to "Ebay split cane", i.e. cane with splits in!
For the Lea, where reach and control are vital, I'd go modern and break out the carbon, unless I knew of a spot in the near third of the river; if needs must, I'd take a drag and try to make such a spot... if I'd got the place to myself.
Only a month left, above Aqueduct lock; I do hope it gets mild soon. Tench do like an early season snack when the days begin to lengthen, but there are limits!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Vole wrote:John,
Spanish reed should be left in the holdall, as should whatever Hardy Lightweights were made from (grumble, grumble, knows whereof it speaks...).
Ive caught tench to 5 pounds 3 ounces on a Hardy the Lightweight Sheffield style and would agree Vole .The rod still has a slight bend throughout after the battle. :( .Lovely rods for light fishing though.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”