Can anyone identify this rod?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Rutilus.Bobicus

Can anyone identify this rod?

Post by Rutilus.Bobicus »

Just acquired and going to be restoring it soon with new line guides and a clean up, but can't see any identifying markings. Can anyone help? Condition wise it's very good, just need's the brass fittings cleaned up and replacement ling guides.

Overall length is 10ft 9, butt and middle sections are bamboo (I think) and tip section looks like whole cane. Handle is about 18 inches with brass fittings through out. Butt and middle section have a 'burnished' look.

Davyr

Re: Can anyone identify this rod?

Post by Davyr »

Can't tell a lot from the photos really, but that mottled cane was quite common on rods (usually un-labelled) imported from Japan in the 1960s, if that's of any help?

Rutilus.Bobicus

davyr wrote:Can't tell a lot from the photos really, but that mottled cane was quite common on rods (usually un-labelled) imported from Japan in the 1960s, if that's of any help?
It's worth noting, definitely. My restoration may have to incorporate the adding of my own name then :chuckle:

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Does the tip have nodes? If its a straight, clean taper, then it's probably lancewood (yellowish) or greenheart (dark brown) - my money (5p) would be on lancewood. Hickory (which I've never knowingly seen) and ash (white) are also possible candidates.
My guess would be between the world wars, though it could be older, and it could be from the post-war austerity years (though I'd have expected aluminium winch fittings by then); and I'd give the tip a few intermediate whippings if you're going to use it - something non-stretch like silk, rather than nylon - to discourage it from showing its age by snapping.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Rutilus.Bobicus

Vole wrote:Does the tip have nodes? If its a straight, clean taper, then it's probably lancewood (yellowish) or greenheart (dark brown) - my money (5p) would be on lancewood. Hickory (which I've never knowingly seen) and ash (white) are also possible candidates.
My guess would be between the world wars, though it could be older, and it could be from the post-war austerity years (though I'd have expected aluminium winch fittings by then); and I'd give the tip a few intermediate whippings if you're going to use it - something non-stretch like silk, rather than nylon - to discourage it from showing its age by snapping.
There are no 'nodes' on the tip section, and from the description, I'd go with you on the lancewood. I might well do intermediate whippings along the length of the rod Vole, I think that would look really nice in fact, especially to cover the 'nodes' on the butt and middle sections. I like the idea of it being a rod from the 1920's or 30's, that really would be a nice detail if to could be substantiated.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”