Ledger rods

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Tony1964

Ledger rods

Post by Tony1964 »

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (£50 ish) cane rod for ledgering? I was thinking of maximum 9'6" length with good through action and able to deal with 5-10lb carp. I am not bothered about it being a "named" collectable (not at that price) just one that is tidy and ready to use. If anyone has something, or knows where I can get one, they think might suit please let me know.

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Ledger rods

Post by Snape »

Chapman 500 might fit the bill - ideally the deluxe.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

An Allcocks Nimrod might also fit the bill, it's a heavy spinning rod really, but should be more than up to the job you require mate. I've just picked one up myself for somewhat less than your budget on the recommendation of davyr, to be used as a chubbing rod for them jungle type swims.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Or the 10ft 6in Sab(r)ina by Dawsons of Bromley, although I think the 500 is a slightly better rod. I can't hink of any named 9ft 6in cane rods, but you might think about purchasing a 9ft 6in fly rod and converting it - might be an interesting project.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Thanks chaps, will keep an eye open. I have been looking at a nice Chapman 500 but not sure if I can get it within my budget. Will see what the chap says. Can only try.

Will look for the Nimrod too Gurn, thanks.

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

SeanM wrote:Or the 10ft 6in Sab(r)ina by Dawsons of Bromley, although I think the 500 is a slightly better rod. I can't hink of any named 9ft 6in cane rods, but you might think about purchasing a 9ft 6in fly rod and converting it - might be an interesting project.
Not looking for a named rod Sean, just something for a bit of fun that I can use straight away. I have too many have finished projects on the go at the moment. They may get finished when I retire. :chuckle:

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”