More Vintage Fair finds

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

More Vintage Fair finds

Post by Tonytoned »

Went to a local vintage fair this morning at Minstead in the New Forest and came across these two finds. The Complete Book of Sportfishing and this cane rod, which I've tried looking for but found very little history about. 'A Morecambe Supercraft Green Mamba - 11ft long. The rod is generally in good condition but the eyes are totally shot (rusted), so a little project methinks! New rings and whipping which hopefully I'll be able to purchase at the Romsey vintage tackle fair on October 1st. All I hope is I haven't bought a pup, but didn't pay much for it anyway. Information would be gratefully appreciated and I thank you for your time. Many thanks

Tony

:Scared:

vin fair.jpg
vin fair2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: More Vintage Fair finds

Post by AshbyCut »

There was one discussed on another site about 6 years ago, Sir ... though it had a slightly different shape to the top of the handle.

Interestingly, that one was described as having a reverse taper handle ... like the Milward's 'Swimversa.'

The thread is linked below :-

http://www.purepiscator.com/forum/defau ... osts&t=713
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

AshbyCut wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:03 pm There was one discussed on another site about 6 years ago, Sir ... though it had a slightly different shape to the top of the handle.

Interestingly, that one was described as having a reverse taper handle ... like the Milward's 'Swimversa.'

The thread is linked below :-

http://www.purepiscator.com/forum/defau ... osts&t=713
Thank you AshbyCut. Yes I did check that site and noticed the handle was totally different to this rod. I shall try and look deeper into it. Here is an image the actual handle. Thanks for your help.

:Hat:
vin fair3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

What lovely finds from a local fair, that is just how I like to find things myself. good luck and I hope the rod restores nicely.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Reedling wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:27 am What lovely finds from a local fair, that is just how I like to find things myself. good luck and I hope the rod restores nicely.
Thank you Reedling. I'll post it once I've finished it. Looking forward to using it too. See if I can pick up Centrepin for it at Romsey tackle fair.

:Hat:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I look forward to reading about your first use after restoration Tonytoned, I always enjoy reading about rods that are brought back to use after being found in boot or collectors fairs etc at a reasonable price. I hope you find a suitable pin at the fair, I am sure you will be spoilt for choice. :Thumb:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Reedling wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:43 am I look forward to reading about your first use after restoration Tonytoned, I always enjoy reading about rods that are brought back to use after being found in boot or collectors fairs etc at a reasonable price. I hope you find a suitable pin at the fair, I am sure you will be spoilt for choice. :Thumb:
Thanks Reedling. I'm doing little bits of cleaning up as I go along until I can get the rings and whipping. But yes I will post image whence I have finished

:Thumb:

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”