Homer No. 57 and Flick ‘Em

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

Re: Homer No. 57 and Flick ‘Em

Post by Fredline »

Hi Phil, the main problem with the Homers Flick-em is spindle wear. I have seen more badduns than gooddens. As long as their is not too much wobble you will not have a problem. The reel can be used for long trotting but the line will need to be hand fed. As you can see I am a fan and I have never had a problem with the telephone latch, after all it is just another reel to be used and more importantly enjoyed. The 2 items you have purchased are a match made in heaven and if Mr Angler from 1930 can use them then so can you. You are right they are not a true pin as the spool just rotates around the spindle,definitely no bearings, how dare you even mention that format. A little light oil and you will be fine. They produced 3 handle types, classic bone/horn, Xylonite (the rubbery crazed substance) and a simulated horn from plastic in the mid 1930's. Most books state late 1920's as the first Homers appearing but as you can see from the advert of 1910 the original start production date is much earlier. I hope this info is helpful and I know the first time you use this pairing you will be grinning from ear to ear.

ImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Glad to be of assistance Phil. :Thumb:

Here,s a few of pic,s of my No61 The main difference i can see to your No57 is my 61 has a different tip section being round cane with split cane spliced in and one more ring.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

A little bit of history on the name of the Lea .... river and navigation.

" The Lee Navigation is named by Acts of Parliament and is so marked on Ordnance Survey maps. Constructed elements and human features are spelled Lee, such as the canal system and Lee Valley Park. The un-canalized river is spelled Lea, along with other natural features such as Lower Lea Valley."

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Fredline wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:18 pm Hi Phil, the main problem with the Homers Flick-em is spindle wear. I have seen more badduns than gooddens. As long as their is not too much wobble you will not have a problem. The reel can be used for long trotting but the line will need to be hand fed. As you can see I am a fan and I have never had a problem with the telephone latch, after all it is just another reel to be used and more importantly enjoyed. The 2 items you have purchased are a match made in heaven and if Mr Angler from 1930 can use them then so can you. You are right they are not a true pin as the spool just rotates around the spindle,definitely no bearings, how dare you even mention that format. A little light oil and you will be fine. They produced 3 handle types, classic bone/horn, Xylonite (the rubbery crazed substance) and a simulated horn from plastic in the mid 1930's. Most books state late 1920's as the first Homers appearing but as you can see from the advert of 1910 the original start production date is much earlier. I hope this info is helpful and I know the first time you use this pairing you will be grinning from ear to ear.
Many thanks for this Fredline. The look and feel of the handles on mine says simulated horn from plastic, which gives me a closer dating than 1930s. There's a touch of wobble but, as the spindle looks to be original, I'd be surprised if there wasn't. I oiled her and was actually pleasantly surprised at how well she span - especially if I held her underneath the reel (per the unmentionable format type reel) as opposed to on her side as I would with a conventional pin.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Ljm183 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:57 pm A little bit of history on the name of the Lea .... river and navigation.

" The Lee Navigation is named by Acts of Parliament and is so marked on Ordnance Survey maps. Constructed elements and human features are spelled Lee, such as the canal system and Lee Valley Park. The un-canalized river is spelled Lea, along with other natural features such as Lower Lea Valley."
You Southerners really like to confuse us poor Northerners, don't you! I'm just glad I didn't mention the Lee Flood Relief Channel! Thanks Lea (sic)!!!!

Where I come from, the Mersey is the Mersey and the Dee is the Dee ....... and heaven lies between them!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Ljm183 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 pm Glad to be of assistance Phil. :Thumb:

Here,s a few of pic,s of my No61 The main difference i can see to your No57 is my 61 has a different tip section being round cane with split cane spliced in and one more ring.
Thanks for posting these Lee. The only 2 differences I can see are that the butt ring on mine is a lot chunkier and heavy looking and that all the other rings are of the single piece of double looped heavy gauge wire variety (I don't know if they have a name). The tip ring is unlined, so I am going to use Drennan Floatfish 4.4lb line as I find that resists abrasion better than some.

Oh, and the remains of the heads od the screws to retain the brass collars to keep the reel bands on the handles are present but all of the collars are long gone.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”