W.A Allcock Adonis rung with open bridge guides

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Lucky Strike
Perch

W.A Allcock Adonis rung with open bridge guides

Post by Lucky Strike »

Hi

I’ve recently found a good example of an Adonis and wish to change the high bells to open bridge guides for ledgering. There’s 6 intermediate rings, 8 including the butt and tip. I’ve been looking at the sizes on the chapman website and am not sure how to graduate them size wise to ensure it’s a smooth transition.
I like them to be small so I was thinking of getting
3 x 4mm, 2 x 5mm and 1 x 6mm.

Anyone had any experience here?

Stef
Rudd

Re: W.A Allcock Adonis rung with open bridge guides

Post by Stef »

Hi LS, in my opinion you can't go wrong with your chosen pattern, but apart from ring sizes I would take into account the height of the rings for a smooth transition, too, therefore I would integrate the size 3 or 5-5mm ring. What tip ring are you going to use?

Best regards
Stef

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

Hi

Thanks. I didn’t see a 3mm on the website, may be Hopkins may have them. Not sure about tip ring yet but I quite fancy the unlined type as seen on chapman 500’s. No idea what size. If it were your project, what size intermediate rings would you get? There would be 6 in total

Cheers
LS

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Seymo 616HC for the rings with lined tip & butt. At 11ft for rods other than cane I would use 10/11 rings usually. But a total of 8 seems not enough!

You could have lined butt ring + 1 on the butt section - 3/4 on the middle - 4 on the tip plus tip ring.

I would tape them on to try before whipping, putting a curve in the rod to see where they go best.

I had that dilemma my self - but I solved it by selling the rod!

The ferrules on mine were pinned and became a nightmare needing re-fitting/changing.

The Seymo rings are measured OD not ID.

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

I was referring to the Size 3 guide which is 5-5mm according to the Chapman's site.

If it were my project I would choose the tip ring first, then choose suitable intermediate guides. If I would go for the unlined 604 tip ring I'd would use intermediate guides 2-2-2-3-3-4 for example.

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

Chapman's seem to state the ring's ID.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Sorry I was quoting Guides'nBlanks, part of Hopkins and Holloway who are now Trade.

Look at the rings on an Avon rod and extend the ringing - a 10ft B J Avon has 8 rings so an 11ft should have at least one more!

Even a Chapman 10ft 500DL has 7 rings.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Here's what I did with mine.

On the tip: the tip ring plus 4 off 6mm id open bridge rings
On the joint: 3 off 10mm id open bridge rings
On the butt: 1 off 19mm id lined ring

This arrangement looks just about right to me. You can graduate the ring sizes a bit more if you wish, but I don't think it really matters. I use mine on rivers for chub and barbel so it never gets used as a float rod.

Here it is:

Get in touch if you need any more info.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Lucky Strike, I would leave the rings alone. You will gain nothing by fitting low mounted rings. The High Bells rings give you better line clearance in wet weather for casting float tackle or freelining.

Wal.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:58 pm Hi Lucky Strike, I would leave the rings alone. You will gain nothing by fitting low mounted rings. The High Bells rings give you better line clearance in wet weather for casting float tackle or freelining.

Wal.
My thoughts exactly Wal, :Hat:

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”