RECENT PURCHASE

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
John Harding
Rudd

RECENT PURCHASE

Post by John Harding »

Good afternoon all,

I recently purchased a rod from a maker that I had not come across before and I was wondering if anyone else knows of them. The rod is a three piece, hollow built 12ft rod, the script on the but section reads :- Arthur Price Jnr Birmingham "The Boston" Hollow Built Cane Rod 12ft.

The rod requires some tidying up, new rings, re-whipping and varnishing but I think it will be worthwhile as it looks to be quite nice.

The rod :

Regards,
John.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Re: RECENT PURCHASE

Post by Rutland Rod »

I’m sure one of the chaps will shed light, my guess is Arthur Price was a tackle shop in Brum with the rod built by one of the Redditch makers ? what I like is that previous owners have wanted to use it by putting the odd new rings on. The writing is nice, an older chap as it’s spidery...
Tight lines Dave

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

Dave,

Thanks for your comment, I think the tackle shop option could be a possibility.

Regards,
John

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That writing - seems I have seen very similar elsewhere? In fact I think Bumble may have the rod?

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Olly wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:04 pm That writing - seems I have seen very similar elsewhere? In fact I think Bumble may have the rod?
The script is very similar to ‘the Abbey’ rods, of which I know Bumble is a fan. I have the match delux and the script is almost 100% by the same hand.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

This is the writing on my Abbey rod. Notice the ‘The’ is identical to your rod. I’m not sure if Bumble told me they were Southwell blanks.

Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

It looks very much like the writing on a Westley Richards Sovereign I owned. It too was a 12ft three piece, very dark hollow built cane and also stated Birmingham made but I was told they were built on blanks supplied by Aspindales and finished in house. It's all hear say of course and they could all have been made by Arthur Price.

Sadly my photos have vanished since Photobucket decided to throw their toys out of the pram.

Wal.

Heres a couple of the rod but not very good detail.

ImageImage

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

John Harding wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:20 pm Dave,

Thanks for your comment, I think the tackle shop option could be a possibility.

Regards,
John
John,
It looks like Dave was correct - please see this link http://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/in ... ill.43784/
Geoff

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

Thanks everyone for your replies and in particular to Geoff (Eddy Pools), that is a fantastic link.

Wal', I think you could be on to something with the Aspindale suggestion, the rod does have a sort of Aspindale "feel" to it and they were probably finished off at Arthur Price Junior's shop.

One aspect I forgot to mention was that the top six inches of the handle has an almost fly rod profile with a step down at six inches which prevents the top reel band moving to the top of the handle.

Once again, thanks everyone.

John.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

My memory is accurate then! But not so good to remember "Abbey" rods!!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”