Bamboo and Wooden tipped rod (Help please if possible)

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Bamboo and Wooden tipped rod (Help please if possible)

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello Everyone

I wonder if anyone can help. I bought this Bamboo rod at a vintage fair, (The butt & mid section are Bamboo and the tip section looks like it might be made of greenheart or lance wood), it is 12ft in length with a 20" wooden handle with appropriate reels fitting in aluminium, the ferrule are brass and the eyes look like they were originally on the rod. the bag it came in has unfortuantely lost its label but has the owner name on a tag sown on to the bag. "C J Emery", the bag might not be original though.

More details can be given on request.

Is the rod homemade or manufactured?

Thank you for your time and much appreciation

:Hat:

The tip section male ferrule

Stour Otter
Grayling

Re: Bamboo and Wooden tipped rod (Help please if possible)

Post by Stour Otter »

Good Afternoon Tonytoned.
I think we were both at the same fair, saw this rod myself in a marquee just beyond the herbaceous plants for sale. I came to the conclusion that it may have been home-made, with the reel fittings added some time later, as I would have thought they would have also been brass like the collar and not aluminum as they look like new. Good winter project though. I was also keeping a eye out for some old bits, but my cash supply was wiped out when the girlfriend spotted a Poole Pottery Charger!

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Stour Otter wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:13 pm Good Afternoon Tonytoned.
I think we were both at the same fair, saw this rod myself in a marquee just beyond the herbaceous plants for sale. I came to the conclusion that it may have been home-made, with the reel fittings added some time later, as I would have thought they would have also been brass like the collar and not aluminum as they look like new. Good winter project though. I was also keeping a eye out for some old bits, but my cash supply was wiped out when the girlfriend spotted a Poole Pottery Charger!

Stour Otter
Thank you Stout Otter. Yeah I would tend to agree. I bought it for the its history. The person who used it last C J Emery, who was he where did he use it and When? it's intriguing and what a lovely little vintage fair too.

:Hat:

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

My first visit on Sunday to the event and highly enjoyable. I did manage to pick up a Herbert Johnson wool trilby in sage which had never been worn in my size for just £5.00 and one of those aluminum 50's sandwich boxes to add to the other eight I already have. I think I may have a problem!
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”