Rawson & Perrin “The Willow”

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Duckett
Tench

Rawson & Perrin “The Willow”

Post by Duckett »

Wal recently returned a rod to me on which he performed a small rescue miracle and one I am very grateful for. Just prior to their deaths my parents paid for Rawson & Perrin to build a Willow for me - it’s their modern take on a Lucky Strike. Their service was excellent but I was never entirely happy with the rod. Much of this was because I simply picked the wrong whipping pattern and colour. However, the first fish I landed with it was a hard fighting carp of high single figures which decided to take 2 maggots on a 16 hook and 4lb leader! The rod suffered badly, partly as a result of my inexperience with cane at the time. Wal described it to me as bent and twisted in several directions!

Anyway, Wal stripped her down, straightened her and re-whipped the rings in a gorgeous Peacock blue with inters, as I wanted her to look more like an early Lucky Strike. At Wal’s suggestion, I’ve put her in a rod bag with somewhat less rigid material then the one supplied and have reduced her line rating from 8lb to 6lb. A couple of weekends ago she landed several nice Bream.

Every time I take the Willow out she reminds me of my parents, both of whom taught me to fish. So, I am very grateful to Wal for making that possible.

One question to readers, does anyone else own a Rawson & Perrin coarse rod and what do they think? Pictures below: ImageImageImage
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Rawson & Perrin “The Willow”

Post by RBTraditional »

That looks superb Duckett. Dr Cane can perform quite amazing surgery....and in my case the odd resurrection.....
Enjoy using that gorgeous rod, as for R&P, sorry I have no personal knowledge....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

That looks great in the less common blue whippings :Thumb:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Does look nice. The background blanket you've chosen makes it look even better. I've no experience of R&P. One of their MkIV rods sold on eBay recently, hollow built. I think lots of light rods will struggle with hard fighting carp. I've been told by a very respected cane builder that a lot of fly rods look a little bent after taking fish but that they do recover soon enough – as long as the quality is there in the first place.

I guess use it, enjoy it and see how you get on together. Given the emotive attachment to the rod it's one that needs to be with you forever. I have a light Avon rod that I won't use where are I know there are carp present.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

That’s a stunning looking rod. Wal can certainly do wonders, and that’s evidence of it. No idea about Rawson & Perrin, presumably a comedy double act from the early 19 hundreds. :Sarcasm:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have seen adverts for their fly rods and the occasional custom made coarse rod, don't seem to be cheap tho!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks for all of the comments. I shall be adding The Willow to the cane that does not get used at waters with carp! Thankfully, I still have access to several of that increasingly rare water!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”